Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 21-12-2022 Sketchbook App iPhone

IB20

That’s really good! Nice rendition.  I’ve also downloaded the app but not had a proper chance to use not yet. Perhaps once you’re happy with your technique, you can share some tips (though Mars is rapidly shrinking and Jupiter disappearing!). It would also be nice to see some smaller ‘zoomed out’ versions of your sketches. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks @RobertI, I’m really enjoying the app. There are so many drawing instruments that sometimes I forget what I’ve used previously. In a way I quite like that though as it leads to different styles.

Admittedly never been the most skilled when it comes to drawing etc but I certainly enjoy it when it comes to astronomy.

Really good suggestion at a zoomed out drawing; I will try at my next session in real time, hopefully soon when this horrid blanket cloud abates. 

Might even try some lunar in the future but it might be way beyond my skill level. 😅

• Like 1

They look great! One question though- you’re getting really nice detail and definition on the low contrast dark markings but the disk edge is blurry? It’s the other way round for me- the disk is sharp and the details are too but low in contrast and take concentrated observing to piece them together into a whole

Mark

• Like 1

On 24/12/2022 at 02:07, markse68 said:

They look great! One question though- you’re getting really nice detail and definition on the low contrast dark markings but the disk edge is blurry? It’s the other way round for me- the disk is sharp and the details are too but low in contrast and take concentrated observing to piece them together into a whole

Mark

Yes it was more being a novice with the app, there are 10s of drawing tools and I need a lot more practice, certainly creating the planetary disc. You’re right too, the sketches I would term composite sketches as I have to observe for long periods of time to see all the albedo detail available. 

• Like 1

On 25/12/2022 at 23:44, IB20 said:

Yes it was more being a novice with the app, there are 10s of drawing tools and I need a lot more practice, certainly creating the planetary disc. You’re right too, the sketches I would term composite sketches as I have to observe for long periods of time to see all the albedo detail available. 

Nice sketches! As for observing and being a “composite” - this is all part of observing a target like Mars. Well, it certainly is for me. Typically I’ll spend a couple of hours on Mars, sometimes more, and piece together an image in my head. Of course in this time the planet rotates somewhat but this helps in figuring out what you are seeing. 

And if I think back the next morning that image in my head is a composite of what a saw during the night before. 

• Like 3