Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zwo AM5 on a SW Pier?

Nikolas74

There is a SW adapter that comes with the PE200 extender, I don't know if the adapter is available anywhere on its own.

As a side note I have found the SW adapter is too big to fit in my Berlebach tripod head and my eq5 pier adapters. I've used my pier adapter that has both EQ6 & EQ5 side and as a short term measure fitted on the EQ6 side.

Update

I think my issue with the adapter is my Berlebach tripod was bought for an HEQ5 - and possibly the pier adapters too. There is a small difference between a HEQ5 and an EQ5 base, small but in this case crucial.

Edited by StevieDvd
HEQ5 versus EQ5 issue.
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mike_tempus said:

So is the ZWO adapter for an HEQ5 or for EQ5 mount??

The adapter is designed for an EQ5 tripod.

Some fittings pier adapters/tripods designed for HEQ5 won;t accept the EQ5 sized mounts as the recess for a HEQ5 is smaller by a few millimetres.  More recent ones may accept both.

On 19/12/2022 at 21:16, Nikolas74 said:

I was wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to attach the ZWO AM5 on my Skywatcher HEQ5 pier? 

Is there any adapter for it? 

Thanks

Nikolas. 

I mounted the AM5 on a Barlebach Planet/EQ5 adapter but, I had to trim a bit the Barbelach adapter to fit in the PE200 pier. I am talking about 1mm.

Nevertheless, the PE200 is mandatory to mount the AM5 on any other tripod.

On 13/01/2023 at 20:51, George Sinanis said:

Nevertheless, the PE200 is mandatory to mount the AM5 on any other tripod.

Is this the case for an EQ6R/AZEQ6 tripod? I would like to try my AM5 on my AZEQ6 tripod for a spot of observing every now and again but don't fancy paying best part of £200 for an extender.