Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great Orion Nebula in HaRGB - 2 hours 17 min at f4

R1k

Orion Nebula in HaRGB

This hustling and bustling neighbourhood 1,400 light years distant is brimming with towering pillars of gas and dust that are home to fledgling stars.

Shot over two nights this week from my home in Bortle 6 NW England.

Equipment:

- Skywatcher EQ6-R pro

- Skywatcher 10 inch f4 Quattro

- Skywatcher Aplanatic coma corrector

- Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED + ZWO ASI 120MM-mini

- ZWO ASI 294MM pro

- ZWO EAF

- Optolong 36mm 3nm Ha filter, Optolong RGB filters

- Pegasus Powerbox advance

Acqusition:

- Lights, Ha: 20 x 300s, 50 x 15s each of RGB

- Darks: 30

- Flats: 10 per filter

- Darkflats: 10 per filter

Great Orion Nebula in HaRGB

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, Craig a said:

That’s a lovely image of m42, and from a fellow Quattro 10 user that’s nice to see, you pulled some nice detail in the clouds 

Thanks Craig, it’s occasionally a pain to use but when all works, it’s a great scope!

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2022 at 18:59, R1k said:

Wouldn't normally re-post but have re-processed this image paying much more attention preservation of the core. Here is the updated version!

hdr process sig.jpg

Nice improvement. I see extra detail and sharpness without over doing it. Both images are superb. I'm planning a session on M42, shortly, but there is no chance I will get close to your result. Congratulations on your superb work.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 19:59, R1k said:

Wouldn't normally re-post but have re-processed this image paying much more attention preservation of the core. Here is the updated version!

hdr process sig.jpg

Transformed! A really good M42, now.

Point of interest: the bottom half of the nebula, in this rendition, is brown and dusty. In most renditions the red emission still dominates in the lower half.  In some, there is a strong colour transition, but in the reds, where yours turns into brown dust. I find your version perfectly credible and am simply interested in the emission/reflection balance, brown dust being reflection. Essentially, I think your image may be onto something.

Olly

• Thanks 1

On 31/12/2022 at 18:59, R1k said:

hdr process sig.jpg

What a beautiful image. I'm almost speechless. The whole thing is so delicate and detailed, and the colour is spot on.

• Like 2

On 02/01/2023 at 18:49, ollypenrice said:

Transformed! A really good M42, now.

Point of interest: the bottom half of the nebula, in this rendition, is brown and dusty. In most renditions the red emission still dominates in the lower half.  In some, there is a strong colour transition, but in the reds, where yours turns into brown dust. I find your version perfectly credible and am simply interested in the emission/reflection balance, brown dust being reflection. Essentially, I think your image may be onto something.

Olly

Thank you Olly! I recall your version from last year well - something for me to aim for in the future!

although technically HaRGB, the Ha was only very slightly used in channel combination, it’s effectively a true colour image hence why the brown dusty areas may have turned out the way they did.