Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Image

Sarek

After many months of aquiring equipment (all second hand apart from a  dew heater, Bahtinov mask and intervalometer) , building knowledge, waiting for clear skies and a few false starts  I was finally able to produce my first DSO image last night. 

It was a very cold but clear night with the only downside being the full moon. Having waited for so long I decided to give it a go anyway, I figured at least it would be a good practice run!

I'm reasonably pleased with this first result and encouraged enough to continue my journey.  This was also my first use in anger of the software I've chosen (Deep SKY Stacker and GIMP). I think I probably confused myself with the GIMP processing a few times, especially the masks which I may have overdone- was following a You Tube tutorial for some of it but have to admit I got a bit lost at points. 

I took 60 x 45 second lights at ISO 800, 50 Bias frames, 20 darks and 20 flats (tee shirt method)

Having spoken to the previous owner of this equipment (the always helpful AstroExploring Nick) I think I could go for longer exposures but I wanted to be sure I had the hang of polar aligning first.

There were times, I readily admit, when I was on the point of giving up but I'm glad I persisted, encouraged as I have been by the fantastic advice and knowledge bases her and elsewhere.  A big help to me was writing down the step by step imaging work flow to follow - I even laminated it to use outside. I kept forgetting important steps or getting them in the wrong order. Maybe in time I'll be able to memorise them all!

425880626_2ndattempt-03.jpeg.9244dd13a7f1c77025aeea43183a0c4f.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Well done... Bet you're ecstatic with that...

Thank you. Yes its certainly a good feeling to finally get something worthwhile.  I've also really enjoyed being out under the stars for so long and getting more familiar with constellations 

Edited by Sarek

15 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

A brilliant first image, congratulations!

26 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Great start. Well on your way, congratulations I can say for certain it will not be your last and I look forward to seeing them.

Marv

52 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Well done, very nice image.

Thanks all! I know I have a long way to go yet but its good to make a start at last!

• Like 1

Great job @Sarek👍I see now what you mean about similar gear, and it would also appear similar targets 😂

Regarding DSS, do you have any links to tutorials/videos?

For GIMP I used this one from Astro La Vista - doesn't mention masks at all (and it's all I've looked at so far) so I presume different to whatever you've watched, and also it's clear that I still have so much more to learn about image processing! 😱

Regarding capture, are you just using the HEQ5 unguided? I am - but since we're probably at similar points along the learning curve I'm interested what we can learn from one another. Also, what software are you using to drive the 700D? I've found BackyardEOS/BackyardNikon very easy to get to grips with

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, imakebeer said:

Great job @Sarek👍I see now what you mean about similar gear, and it would also appear similar targets 😂

Regarding DSS, do you have any links to tutorials/videos?

For GIMP I used this one from Astro La Vista - doesn't mention masks at all (and it's all I've looked at so far) so I presume different to whatever you've watched, and also it's clear that I still have so much more to learn about image processing! 😱

Regarding capture, are you just using the HEQ5 unguided? I am - but since we're probably at similar points along the learning curve I'm interested what we can learn from one another. Also, what software are you using to drive the 700D? I've found BackyardEOS/BackyardNikon very easy to get to grips with

Thank you. 

I don't have any specific links for DSS only videos but all Im doing in it is registering the various sets and the setting it off to produce at master output file which I'm then editing in GIMP

I used this You tube video to get me started ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjOtN1tMyM&ab_channel=NebulaPhotos ) -  has a bit on DSS at the start as well.  I've watched a few GIMP tutorials over the last month and I can see that whilst there are some basic techniques that everyone uses there ae also differences in approach when it gets to fine tuning so I guess its a question of working out what you find easiest and experimenting a bit?

I'm currently unguided and not using any software for the 700D. I'm interested in guiding for sure but I'm happy to push my current set up and skills a bit further before taking next steps. I'll probably think of getting a guide scope at some point along with an ASI Air device. When I started out I thought polar alignment would be the hardest thing but I've actually found that quite straightforwrd if I take my time. I cannot say the same for GIMP! 

• Like 1

Great start, better than my first image of Andromeda that had no moon phase! Congrats. You’re right, it was very clear and cold, and again last night here in the shire.

I follow Astroexploring and remember him saying he sold his equipment, so glad to see it’s in use, and on here of all places 😀 

I started out with DSS and Gimp but if I started again, I would have used Siril from the outset (it’s also free). It stacks and edits in the same software and I get much better results, although I still use gimp for minor tweaks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

Great start, better than my first image of Andromeda that had no moon phase! Congrats. You’re right, it was very clear and cold, and again last night here in the shire.

I follow Astroexploring and remember him saying he sold his equipment, so glad to see it’s in use, and on here of all places 😀 

I started out with DSS and Gimp but if I started again, I would have used Siril from the outset (it’s also free). It stacks and edits in the same software and I get much better results, although I still use gimp for minor tweaks.

Thank you. I'll give Siril a go before I get too far into GIMP