Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asteroid 2022 WJ1 over Canada.

maw lod qan

I've just seen about this asteroid burning up over Ontario and I am amazed they spotted a 1 meter asteroid 2 hours out. 

Once again it was very horizontal and produced an impressive bolide.

If this was a Leonid stragglers, and had the velocity they say the Leonids normally have, wouldnt 2 hours had it at quite a distance to spot something a meter in diameter?

• Like 5

On 20/11/2022 at 20:31, maw lod qan said:

If this was a Leonid stragglers, and had the velocity they say the Leonids normally have, wouldnt 2 hours had it at quite a distance to spot something a meter in diameter?

We can say for sure that it was not Leonid related, since it's an asteroid (technically, it was a meteoroid, and too small to be an asteroid - "asteroid fragment" works well too) with the orbit confirmed (Leonids are of course cometary in origin), but if this is a hypothetical question, then asteroids tend to have velocities around half or less of Leonids (72 km/s). This one looked perhaps slightly faster than average (for an asteroid) to me, so perhaps around 25-30 km/s. If it was a Leonid then we'd have had less than 1/2 the time to react before impact!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

A meteor put on quite the display over Norway on saturday night too

Watch meteor light up night sky in Norway - BBC News

If anything, this event over Norway looks larger than the event over Canada! Nice find!

Very busy time of year for big fireballs. My wife and I both observed this one at around this time of year a few years back.

• Thanks 1

What a great story. For it to be observed prior to impact, its trajectory be calculated and the resulting bolide be widely observed is astronomy at its best!

It would be the icing on the cake to find some meteorite fragments in the target area.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul M said:

It would be the icing on the cake to find some meteorite fragments in the target area.

That was the case with TC-2008 (may have the name wrong!) which was the first prior detection of an impactor - it exploded over the Sudan in 2008 (as the name suggests), showering fragments on the ground, some of which were recovered later. Fingers crossed more will be found with WJ1.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Aeroket said:

Hello I'm new to this forum. The asteroid blasted over my house. My GoPro that was capturing night lapse photos of what I thought would be the Leonids.

I got a one in million shot!!

Spectacular Aeroket. Perfect framing too.  Oh! and welcome to the forum 😊

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Thanks 1

Just to put this event into some perspective - this video gives you an idea of how many of the near earth objects NASA/astronomers have found, most of them are fairly large in comparison with 2022-WJ1. Smaller chunks of asteroid are harder to spot as well as more numerous, and there are probably ten (if not more) 2022-WJ1s for every known NEO in this video!

The Chelyabinsk super bolide wasn't detected before it exploded,as it's trajectory was masked by the sun. But if there had been time to warn the public I think a few observers would of had there cameras ready. 

Although heading into a bomb shelter may of been wiser. 

This is fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

Edited by scotty1

10 hours ago, Aeroket said:

Hello I'm new to this forum. The asteroid blasted over my house. My GoPro that was capturing night lapse photos of what I thought would be the Leonids.

I got a one in million shot!!G0021558.thumb.JPG.71f31434e330cf0781c406d43725e3b3.JPG

Hi @Aeroket and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Amazing image and well done. :icon_salut:

• Thanks 1