Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - 13 November 2022

geoflewis

11 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks for the detailed walk through. By 

Do you mean, just 10% sharpening in AS!3? I have always used unsharpened images in registax, at least for my captures I seem to get a lot of noise if I take the sharpened version, but I should retry.

This latest one is more vibrant, in a good way.

Thanks Kostas, yes, I think that's what it is, but not completely sure. I have these settings now.

image.png.01eccfc8758c1ca4869cba852d8fb95c.png

I was using Blend RAW for 30%, thinking that meant 30% sharpening, but as I experimented I discovered that the higher the blend RAW % was, the less the image was sharpened. I used to never sharpen in AS3! until someone (can't remember who) suggested trying it. It's all trial and error - I'm really good at the error part....

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Kostas, yes, I think that's what it is, but not completely sure. I have these settings now.

image.png.01eccfc8758c1ca4869cba852d8fb95c.png

I was using Blend RAW for 30%, thinking that meant 30% sharpening, but as I experimented I discovered that the higher the blend RAW % was, the less the image was sharpened. I used to never sharpen in AS3! until someone (can't remember who) suggested trying it. It's all trial and error - I'm really good at the error part....

Thanks. I was under the same impression too. I will give it a try.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Ok @skybadger and anyone else that want's to comment, how about this version please? The original is on the right, V2 in the middle and latest on the left?

2022-11-13-2328_2-GDL-RGB-LD65_R6(3-2)_AFP.jpg.71c038efecd520962355b7046b4960bc.jpg2022-11-13-2328_2-GDL-RGB-LD65_R6(2-1)_AFP.jpg.c4d09f4c30eaa02710897727cd2ae562.jpg2022-11-13-2328_2-GDL-RGB-LD50_R6_AFP.jpg.aa70514a319c89fd213e3bba841dcec3.jpg

A tad more sharpening and less saturation.....🤔

Just saw this. So here goes

It's a close call Between the original (far right) and the latest (far left) Far left has slightly less noise but also slightly less detail that's a touch softened compared to the original. And slightly brighter. 

Middle is just blurry and over softened. with somewhat different colour. Out of the running. So, to recap for detail I prefer the original. new left version slightly cleaner, softer more aesthetically pleasing. Original for science. New version for a magazine. Both excellent

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Just saw this. So here goes

It's a close call Between the original (far right) and the latest (far left) Far left has slightly less noise but also slightly less detail that's a touch softened compared to the original. And slightly brighter. 

Middle is just blurry and over softened. with somewhat different colour. Out of the running. So, to recap for detail I prefer the original. new left version slightly cleaner, softer more aesthetically pleasing. Original for science. New version for a magazine. Both excellent

Thanks Neil, your observation is very much in line with the feedback that I received from Richard McKim, who on a similar comparison prefers the original processing as having greater scientific merit.

FWIW I have continued to refine the final processing and following feedback from Niall MacNeil in Australia about the 'milky' appearance of the image, I have further adjusted the black and white points in Affinity Photo to get this.....

2022-11-13-2328_2-GDL-RGB-LD65_R6(3-2)_AFP(V3).jpg.ea6f19c8dd71902510d016936014fb68.jpg

BTW I saw a clear sky last night here at 11:30pm, so ventured out, but as I was focussing on Mars the screen went dark and looking up the sky was 75% cloud, which by the time I shut everything down was more like 95% cloud, so not a single capture..... Maybe tonight.....🤞

• Like 3