SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newtonian refurb, gonna be long!

Chaz2b

Bought this locally for £30 so it’s not going to break my bank. Firstly, I think the tube was used as a rugby post at some point! Then there’s the screws, how they bent them god only knows. It’s never been looked after but the mirrors are in fine condition which is making this project worth it.

Now, I’m not a perfectionist as my eyes are now no longer 19 years old and I don’t have the right equipment. 
I’m using exhaust paint to respray the end rings and focuser, it’s all I’ve got! The intention is to knock out the bumps in the tube, felt line the inner and vinyl wrap the outer. Replace all the bent screws and reassemble. I’ll take more pics when I’m done.

chaz

2F251F87-9CC3-46C1-82BA-C2510B3CBB67.jpeg

C52FF659-6378-4FB9-A1E6-8E54C6300AE3.jpeg

C9EC620C-CA48-4F2B-B10F-3E35562841EB.jpeg

A2B85D93-DD4C-4A79-88FD-87D60F4FDC9A.jpeg

5771EDF3-0CD0-4576-A29D-741E9EFF16C8.jpeg

53B84540-280F-4405-AE49-962D4DE3191E.jpeg

1AA28D8B-F53E-4B7F-89A5-98AB60B9C807.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 7

Have fun. I used spray hammerite when I did the little TAL-M a couple years back, found it helps to warm the metal a little before spraying as well as use several thin layers than try for a good coating off the bat - less paint runs that way. Think I used several cans doing the OTA and pillar but it looks much better for it. One day I'll treat the TAL-1 to the same but that's still in reasonable shape compared to how battered the paint looked on the M.

5 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Have fun. I used spray hammerite when I did the little TAL-M a couple years back, found it helps to warm the metal a little before spraying as well as use several thin layers than try for a good coating off the bat - less paint runs that way. Think I used several cans doing the OTA and pillar but it looks much better for it. One day I'll treat the TAL-1 to the same but that's still in reasonable shape compared to how battered the paint looked on the M.

I’ve noticed most of the Tal-Ms that come up for sale tend to be in rough condition yet a lot of Tal-1s look pristine! I guess they were bought for kids more and got a lot of use whereas the Tal-1s are a bit bulkier to setup and went in the loft after a few goes ;) 

Mark

16 minutes ago, markse68 said:

I’ve noticed most of the Tal-Ms that come up for sale tend to be in rough condition yet a lot of Tal-1s look pristine! I guess they were bought for kids more and got a lot of use whereas the Tal-1s are a bit bulkier to setup and went in the loft after a few goes ;) 

Mark

Not sure, but I noted when I collected mine that the knuckle was slack so the alt-az L-shaped section of the mount was flopping about and hitting the pier which didn't help the paint. You really do need to tighten the clamp screw like your life depended on it and then some. Also when packing it away into the box its easy to scrape the pillars etc on those long screws that stick up from the base for the bolt-down wood slats. Mine was used for the family tho so their kids did have use of it so some contributing factors perhaps. Either way, they're not so hard to overhaul and refurb and with the TAL's you'd have to go some to actually dent the tubes 😉