Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can someone maybe help?! I can barely see anything on Jupiter or that!

Pictures looks overexposed, with star-trailing. What camera? Is that a phone trough a 10mm eyepiece? To start with, keep exposure time under 1 sec to avoid trailing, and do some tests with different settings. Do you see the rings on Jupiter when you look trough the eyepiece? If so, don't expect them to show up on a single image. The usual way to image the moon and planets is by recording short movies, and compose a final image by sorting and stacking each individual movie frame.

I have a 8" dobsonian, and I see the rings on Jupiter quit clearly with a 20mm eyepiece, but when I attach my DSLR and try to image it, it always ends up as a yellow disc.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it is just the photo but it looks out of focus/too bright for you to make out any detail, if u have a lens cap that could lower the amount of light getting in try use that, and also try to play with the focus until its the smallest sphere it can be

@Rallemikken The camera is my iPhone 12s 1x camera! Yeah, it's the phone through the 10mm eyepiece. I'll try to do some tests with different setting! I only see the rings of Jupiter rarely without the phone, just with my eyepiece because even on my eyes it's pretty bright, but at least I can see the rings a tiny bit. I tried recording it (a 3 minute video) and even stacked it actually (the picture I attached) When there was a few clouds, I could see the rings of Jupiter pretty well, because the clouds blocked the extreme light.

IMG_0906_pipp_lapl4_ap1_conv.tif IMG_0906_pipp_lapl4_ap1.tif

Normally for planets you need to take fast photos (milliseconds per image), anything longer and the planets especially jupiter will be white. Your best option with your phone is to record high frame rate video (with the phone absolutely still and secured in some sort of bracket) if you can and then run it through autostakkert. A Barlow lens will increase your f ratio, magnify the image and dim it at the same time. Many planetary images are made through a Barlow, my profile image was done through a 2x Barlow.

Edited by Elp

Either, you won't see much difference due to your optical train. The HD will keep the files smaller. If it's too dim which I suspect it might be, try at standard video frame rate 25/30FPS.

Edited by Elp

22 minutes ago, Sirbananad said:

I'm trying to get Jupiter's rings.

It's normally Saturn that you see the rings on 😉

Anyhow, it might be worth taking a gander at the pictures on the first page of this thread and realising that they were taken with a far more capable telescope than you have so it might be worth toning down your expectations accordingly.

As per the above, the quality of your scope, glass etc makes a lot of difference. Most proper planetary images are taken with astro cameras attached direct to the focus tube. A lot also depends on the atmospheric conditions at the time, a telescope in space doesn't have this issue.

I wouldn't go down the filter route just yet.

Edited by Elp

It maybe the eyepiece. The SkyWatcher 10mm is renowned for not being that good/great and may be assembled at the same factory/plant. Most ‘cheaper’ scope brands do this to keep costs down.

I would not invest in filters at the present time until you have got used to the ‘scope. That said, a variable polarising filter may help.

Edited by Philip R

Thinking just about visual use, chromatic aberration in the scope won't help. You might find an aperture mask improves things, make some out of black card of various apertures. A minus-violet, contrast booster, or similar filter can also help.

Imaging adds a whole nother level of complexity, but if the belts are *difficult* to see at 66x with your eyes then that's not a good foundation as it were.

25 minutes ago, Sirbananad said:

Is there a way to fix optical train or?

Sure, buy a bigger scope and observe from more stable skies if you want to get more magnification and thus more detail.  A short f-ratio 102mm achromat is never going to show you Jupiter in lots of detail.  Even a with a 102mm APO, it takes time to pick out subtle details in the bands.

With a suitable eyepiece though, you should be able to see at least one band on Jupiter with that scope.  I've done it with both one of those 76mm f/4 Newtonians with a spherical primary mirror and a Plossl eyepiece (though I don't recall the focal length of it) and with a short tube 80mm achromat with a Plossl eyepiece, so your 102mm achromat should be able to manage it.  I suspect your 10mm eyepiece is the weakest link and needs upgraded.

A quick fix your scope's chromatic aberration would be to get a 1.25" Yellow #8 filter to cut out the violet-blue fringing.  If that doesn't help, try a 1.25" light green #56 filter to cut out both the blue and red ends of the spectrum.

9 hours ago, Sirbananad said:

@oriswinter I try that, but when it's to small I can't see it Jupiter that well, because I'm trying to get Jupiter's rings. If I do get a good picture, will I have to make it bigger with a software or something?

If its too small when properly in focus then you may need a 2x barlow, or an eyepiece with higher magnification, if you cant see the rings with your eyes then you definiently wont be able to see it in a photo using a phone

Edited by Cornelius Varley
Text colour removed

9 hours ago, oriswinter said:

If its too small when properly in focus then you may need a 2x barlow, or an eyepiece with higher magnification, if you cant see the rings with your eyes then you definiently wont be able to see it in a photo using a phone

If you can see the rings of Jupiter from Earth with any telescope, you'll be miles ahead of pretty much any ground based scopes.  They weren't even discovered until 1979 when the Voyager 1 spacecraft passed by Jupiter.

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Can someone maybe help?! I can barely see anything on Jupiter or that!
6 hours ago, Louis D said:

If you can see the rings of Jupiter from Earth with any telescope, you'll be miles ahead of pretty much any ground based scopes.  They weren't even discovered until 1979 when the Voyager 1 spacecraft passed by Jupiter.

Its all in the semantics 😉 Bands, rings

• Haha 1