Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optolong L-eXtreme vs Optolong L-Ultimate vs Askar Colour Magic 6nm

Lee_P

For the past few weeks I've been busy testing two new dualband filters, the Optolong L-Ultimate and Askar Colour Magic 6nm, to see how they compare with the classic Optolong L-eXtreme in real-world conditions. The review is now ready here: https://urbanastrophotography.com/index.php/2022/10/22/dualband-filter-shootout-l-extreme-vs-l-ultimate-vs-colour-magic-6nm/

347410635_ElephantsTrunkNebulacomparison.thumb.jpg.6eb1ce0b7eb58af8621b1d04ba57a198.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

The ultimate definitely shines out better , interesting how the newer askar 3nm will compare , I use the extreme and hate the halos on bright stars it produces  , damn this hobby gets expensive 😆

I'm looking forward to testing the Askar 3nm versus the Optolong L-Ultimate. Askar are currently out of stock, but they'll send me one when they get more in. Fingers crossed it won't be too long a wait!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This was an excellent review with great test shots particularly the halo tests. Looks like that askar filter mentioned at the end has been released. Have you done any tri-band tests? I'm toying with an altair v2 triband.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, happy-kat said:

This was an excellent review with great test shots particularly the halo tests. Looks like that askar filter mentioned at the end has been released. Have you done any tri-band tests? I'm toying with an altair v2 triband.

I've not tried any tri-bands, but nowadays I'm routinely combining Optolong L-Ultimate and Askar D2 data. 

Brilliant review and comparison, the Optolong L-Ultimate 3nm comes out really well, much reduced noise too as well as nice small tight stars…

Some Halo on the L-Extreme and a bit too on the Askar, but the Optolong is excellent…

What I would like to see is if the Optolong produced halos on longer exposures, or whether it would still be halo free, as comparing it to 6nm filters for the same exposure length does not seem totally fair…so for example, a 3 min exposure on the 6nm variants against 6 mins on the Optolong Ultimate…would be interesting…

‘Excellent post all the same…👍🏻