Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO Mini Cameras Thread?

raadoo

You know the little black thread adapter that ZWO have on all their guide cameras?

Well, apparently, if you leave a filter on there long enough it binds itself to the threads so much so that there's no way to unscrew the filter without destroying the whole thing. 🤷‍♂️

I'm thinking these shouldn't be too expensive to replace, but for the life of me I can't find any information on what the camera thread is! 🤦‍♂️

All I can see is that it's just slightly larger than 1.25" (M28.5 x 0.75).

Do any of you file folks know what this thread is called / what size it actually is? Even better if you can point me towards an adapter from this unknown thread to 1.25"!

thread-guide-camera.jpg

8 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Have you actually damaged it or you can't get the filter off so looking for a replacement?

No damage yet, though I have gone hulk on it, trying to pry the filter off.

So, yeah, filter won’t unthread; it’s definitely bound on there.

I’m looking to replace the 1.25” adapter so I can use other filters.

5 hours ago, raadoo said:

No damage yet, though I have gone hulk on it, trying to pry the filter off.

So, yeah, filter won’t unthread; it’s definitely bound on there.

I’m looking to replace the 1.25” adapter so I can use other filters.

Have you tried the rubber sole technique?

Place the filter/adapter between a pair of shoes/trainers/sneakers with soft soles, press together and twist? 

On 26/10/2022 at 12:03, david_taurus83 said:

Place the filter/adapter between a pair of shoes/trainers/sneakers with soft soles, press together and twist? 

Wasn't aware of that technique. I gave it a go, but sadly they didn't yield. :sad2:

On 26/10/2022 at 13:08, knobby said:

Also try slightly warming the larger part.

Gave this one a go as well, using a low power heat gun. The threads must be bound really tightly cause there was no give.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/10/2022 at 12:03, david_taurus83 said:

Finally got around to trying some other methods and your shoe sole idea kept lingering in my head.

Turns out, this method works best when you use the heel side of the shoe.

Regardless, it worked! @david_taurus83, I cannot thank you enough for what seems like something I should have known already.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, raadoo said:

Finally got around to trying some other methods and your shoe sole idea kept lingering in my head.

Turns out, this method works best when you use the heel side of the shoe.

Regardless, it worked! @david_taurus83, I cannot thank you enough for what seems like something I should have known already.

I can't take the credit as somebody else mentioned it on here before and I've sworn by it since!

• Like 2

For anyone else that may find themselves in a similar situation and the shoe sole trick doesn't work, you're probably slightly screwed.

I reached out to ZWO directly to ask about the adapter they use for their mini cameras. They didn't mention the thread on the cameras, but did try to sell me a replacement:

It is possible to purchase the black adapter separately.
It is $10, and the shipping cost is $30, so the total price is 40USD.

Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about the idea of paying $50 (that's including VAT and customs) for a tiny, simple, thread adapter.

I then reached out to the fine folks at TS, but they unfortunately don't stock any such adapters.

👟