Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Excellent holder & microfocuser for Samyang 135

I recently solved a lot of problems by buying a 3D-printed holder with microfocusing ring from a small French company: http://www.astrokraken.fr/bracket-system-for-samyang-rokinon-135-f-2-telephoto-lens-a183920490 ( I have no connection with the company - I just googled for Samyang/Rokinon holders and found it). The ZWO camera-holder I used previously gave me tilt issues.

I have now used it a couple of nights and it is really solid and easy to use for focusing. I use the Samyang as a piggy-back scope on my dual RASA8 rig and even if I attach it all with a SW piggy-back holder I found no flex-issues as far as I can tell. Here is a link for that SW holder:

https://www.astroshop.eu/guidescope-mounts/skywatcher-guide-scope-mount/p,20120

Cheers, Göran

Here is an image of Sh2-140 I took the other night.

20221012_103723_resized.jpg

20221012_103746_resized.jpg

20221012_103802_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a nicely engineered set up and the proof is how it performs in the field. I have found sag to be a big issue when trying to hang a sizeable camera from the lens, some form of camera body support is essential.

2 minutes ago, tomato said:

Looks like a nicely engineered set up and the proof is how it performs in the field. I have found sag to be a big issue when trying to hang a sizeable camera from the lens, some form of camera body support is essential.

I used to gave a sag problem, but at about the same time as I bought the holder I also bought ZWOs EOS adapter with filter slider and that may have helped. My previous adapter was not sturdy enough.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p12422

So committed the scientific sin of changing two parameters at the same time🥴. In any case I see not sag in the setup now, only a bit of coma around the edge but that could be because the NBZ filter shifts the back-focus and the distance in no longer perfect. Maybe I should add a thin distance ring. I will see how it goes when I use it without a filter.

I used this for a while but it ended up snapping which was disappointing. I ended up buying the autofocus kit from Astrodymium (spelling?) and now use a ZWO EAF with it. Seems a little better made than the astrokraken one I bought, but yours looks a little different to mine so perhaps they've updated/upgraded it slightly? It worked well for a while though!

1 hour ago, Phillyo said:

I used this for a while but it ended up snapping which was disappointing. I ended up buying the autofocus kit from Astrodymium (spelling?) and now use a ZWO EAF with it. Seems a little better made than the astrokraken one I bought, but yours looks a little different to mine so perhaps they've updated/upgraded it slightly? It worked well for a while though!

Interesting, do you mean that the plastic broke? Hopefully he has improved it.