NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NINA, framing issues

Likwid

On 18/10/2022 at 19:36, Likwid said:

I had it perfectly framed and angled in the framing screen

Hi

I come late to the party, but do you have an automated  camera rotator? Setting the angle in framing assistant without a rotator will cause a problem with plate solving (this was hinted at in an earlier post). Been there, done that. I create a mosaic without setting an angle which doesn't create a nice square mosaic image. That's life until something like a Falcon rotator is acquired.

Adrian

• Like 1

If I'm understanding this correctly there are two things sticking out.

1 is that you are plate solving in different screens depending on whether you are doing a mosaic or single frame?

2 after framing up in framing assistant you are using slew and centre in that screen (not sure I understand why).

My understanding of the plate solve button in the framing screen is to plate solve an image you have loaded in from a previous session in order to get the same position and rotation. I've done a 2 panel image of the veil nebula by doing the following.

1 With the mount parked, Pull the target in to framing assistant.

2 Set mosaic parameters for number of frames and rotation and lining them up as required on the sample image loaded at the time of target import. Not clicking on slew or centre etc.

3 Click on set as new sequence

4 Go to sequence tab and set everything up, no. Of frames, dither, guiding etc.

5 click on the start button.

Mount slews to target, takes a 10s image for frame 1 and plate solves. It then adjusts position as required until centre of frame is spot on, it then tells me whether I need to rotate the camera and by how much. That's an iterative process but once right it automatically starts taking the first imaging shot and just gets on with the sequence. Might be worth giving it a go this way to see if you get a better outcome?

Ed

So I went on the NINA Discord channel today and sent my screenshots and everything else in. I think I know what is happening, and my rig is imaging right now. In Framing Assistant, when you hit "Slew and Center" I think it actually points to the center of the mosaic, not the Frame that you have selected. I was stopping there thinking that it was not working, and why waste more time if Frame Assistant couldn't even center my target? So when I spoke with the people on the Discord channel today, I put the coordinates into DSO-Browser and they were exactly centered on my mosaic. I think I figured it out from there. Just now I made a new sequence, put my 2 Frames into it and the first one seems to be slewing correctly. I have it on autopilot and in about 30 minutes, I will know if the second frame slews correctly and adds to the mosaic. I am hoping that I will be able to post a 1 hour mosaic of NGC 6992 and NGC 6960 tomorrow to show you all that it worked and that I am an impatient idiot lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Ah glad it is sorted and sounds pretty much like what I thought was happening as I thought plate solving outside the sequencer would not know which frame to centre on.

All's well that ends well I suppose and you live and learn and all that 🙂 

Steve

Everything is working! I guess that is what happens when you are using multiple complicated pieces of software and assuming how they work lol. Thank you all for your help, i really appreciate it! Here is a quick and dirty mosaic from last night as a test.

1338295966_NGC6992NGC6960MosaicTestSized.jpg.c11e4b3086d6d35298fe4d6d487549aa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1