NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Wi-Fi adapter

I have a Celestron WiFi module and used it for the first time last night . I say used it , but it was so frustrating. Connecting to my iPad I tried to align and every time it failed ! The handset , which is a nightmare to remove and reconnect wasn’t touched so I was purely using the Wi-Fi . In the end I took everything indoors and noticed that my location in the iPad was still set to 55 degrees !!! I’m in a 52 degree location … I updated this , and re connected , without a scope .. I didn’t connect and align , just connect . Then I noticed on he iPad that the scope target icon was pointing north and the mount was pointing east .. so I moved the mount to face north ( just picked it up ) pressed connect again and finally the mount slewed to the intended target , or at least near it . My question is when using the Wi-Fi module does one have to point the mount north to start ? I understand the scope should be level . Also is it necessary to disconnect the hand controller entirely or just leave it plugged in without using it ? Sorry if I’ve not explained the above very well .. but I’m out shopping with the wife and it’s always a stressful experience lol😂

• Haha 1

When I had a Celestron wifi unit a few years back I used to turn my house wifi off before I used the wifi on the mount. Used to get similar issues where it would not connect, or drop out sometimes. Used mine on a 6/8 SE goto mount. Worked Ok with the house wifi off. Try see if yours works any better with house wifi turned off.

Also, used to use Skysafari on my ipad for control and initial alignment. I used to leave the hand controller connected to the mount, but never used it, however if necessary you could use the up/down, left/right keys for movement if you wanted to rather than use the ipad for direction control/fine tuning etc during alignment.

Edited by Knighty2112

I use a Wifi module on my C.925 connected to an Android tablet running Skysafari. I leave the handset connected directly into the scope as the movement buttons are much easier to find in the dark than messing with a tablet screen. The Wifi module creates it's own little network, as I'm sure you know, into which the tablet connects. I had a load of problems with disconnecting until I realised the tablet was picking up the house WiFi and swapping to that occasionally. I have to tell the tablet to forget the house wifi info to prevent it doing that. Bit of a pain, but once done is quite reliable.

Mmmm... didn't actually add a lot to what Gus just said.

Edited by Starwatcher2001
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

My question is when using the Wi-Fi module does one have to point the mount north to start ? I understand the scope should be level . Also is it necessary to disconnect the hand controller entirely or just leave it plugged in without using it ? 

You don't mention what mount you are using, but you need to follow the same alignment procedure using your iPad and wi fi as you would for the handset. I would expect that to be pointing north and level at the start 

You can leave the hand controller connected, but it isn't necessary - I did find it a bit easier to control to be e mount movement using the handset (because of tactile feedback from physical buttons). Now I use an Xbox game controller instead via CPWI.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

When I had a Celestron wifi unit a few years back I used to turn my house wifi off before I used the wifi on the mount. Used to get similar issues where it would not connect, or drop out sometimes. Used mine on a 6/8 SE goto mount. Worked Ok with the house wifi off. Try see if yours works any better with house wifi turned off.

My iPad only connects to the Celestron , I didn’t connect it to the house Wi-Fi , but thanks for the answer as I know it’s a relevant point

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Shimrod said:

You don't mention what mount you are using, but you need to follow the same alignment procedure using your iPad and wi fi as you would for the handset. I would expect that to be pointing north and level at the start 

You can leave the hand controller connected, but it isn't necessary - I did find it a bit easier to control to be e mount movement using the handset (because of tactile feedback from physical buttons). Now I use an Xbox game controller instead via CPWI.

Thanks , I thought you couldn’t use the hand controller and the Wi-Fi module or am I thinking that because it’s the case with the Starsense system .. I am going to try it again shortly . Fingers crossed eh ? 

4 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Thanks 

Thanks , I thought you couldn’t use the hand controller and the Wi-Fi module or am I thinking that because it’s the case with the Starsense system .. I am going to try it again shortly . Fingers crossed eh ? 

If you connect a device using the USB port of the handset the handset will not respond to button presses - if you connect via wi-fi it works fine.

It can be worth checking the firmware of the skyportal device - there was a firmware update last year that improved the reliability of the connection - if it's a new skyportal it may already be  up to date - but something to bear in mind.

Ok folks , showtime again last night … I placed my small scope in the mount , levelled it , pointed it north , plugged in the Wi-Fi module on the one port that Celestron gave us ( what were they thinking) , turned on the mount connected up my IPad to the Wi-Fi module ( all good so far … the connection NEVER drops btw) pressed connect and align in the ipad screen … but , at that point I notice my reticle ( which shows the scope position on the ipad screen ) is pointing somewhere else !!.. the ipad thinks the scope is pointing at Polaris not level to the horizon ! This is what I get when I use the Wi-Fi module .. I can two star align if I use the handset although sky align NEVER seems to work . But I cannot use anything other than sky align when using the Wi-Fi module ( the other alignment methods are not shown ) 

very frustrating and tedious and , another evening completely spoilt by a bit of tech . 
mom sure there is something I may be doing wrong , but , it’s not the connection , as that is rock solid .

Stu 

25 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ok folks , showtime again last night … I placed my small scope in the mount , levelled it , pointed it north , plugged in the Wi-Fi module on the one port that Celestron gave us ( what were they thinking) , turned on the mount connected up my IPad to the Wi-Fi module ( all good so far … the connection NEVER drops btw) pressed connect and align in the ipad screen … but , at that point I notice my reticle ( which shows the scope position on the ipad screen ) is pointing somewhere else !!.. the ipad thinks the scope is pointing at Polaris not level to the horizon ! This is what I get when I use the Wi-Fi module .. I can two star align if I use the handset although sky align NEVER seems to work . But I cannot use anything other than sky align when using the Wi-Fi module ( the other alignment methods are not shown ) 

very frustrating and tedious and , another evening completely spoilt by a bit of tech . 
mom sure there is something I may be doing wrong , but , it’s not the connection , as that is rock solid .

Stu 

What mount are you using? Also what software - are you using the skyportal app, skysafari or something else? When connecting to the mount, make sure it has the mount correctly defined as eq or alt-az.

Edited by Shimrod

Hi , I’m using the standard 8SE on its alt Az nexstar single fork mount . I’m using the Celestron SkyPortal ap which runs a version of Sky Safari  I checked the handset previously and made sure it was in alt Az mode 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

59 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi , I’m using the standard 8SE on its alt Az nexstar single fork mount . I’m using the Celestron SkyPortal ap which runs a version of Sky Safari  I checked the handset previously and made sure it was in alt Az mode 

Can you connect to the mount and confirm Skyportal is correctly configuring the mount as alt-az as well? My recollection is that it should pick this up from the mount but it may be possible to override it in the telescope config settings in the app.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hmmm I will need to check this , unfortunately later , as we are out this morning .. thanks for the continual ideas and suggestions here by the way , all very appreciated 

Stu

So....I've just tried skyportal on my AVX and it only shows the mount as equatorial - which makes sense and is presumably reading this from the mount itself as I can find no option in the settings to change it. The settings may be slightly different for you as the 8SE could be mounted on a wedge. It's worth checking the settings to see if that is an option that can be changed. 

On Skysafari, you have to specify the mount type  as part of defining the telescope you are connecting to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

...plugged in the Wi-Fi module on the one port that Celestron gave us ( what were they thinking)...

Stu, if lack of ports is a problem you can get splitters which allow you to plug two devices into one port.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-aux-port-splitter.html

(Just noticed FLO is out of stock for 90-120 days 😞  You may be able to pick one up elsewhere)

Harrison seem to have them: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/celestron-aux-port-splitter.html

Edited by Starwatcher2001
Added link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Stu, if lack of ports is a problem you can get splitters which allow you to plug two devices into one port.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-aux-port-splitter.html

(Just noticed FLO is out of stock for 90-120 days 😞  You may be able to pick one up elsewhere)

Harrison seem to have them: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/celestron-aux-port-splitter.html

I was going to suggest a compatible cable as they are a lot cheaper - the one I have cost £11 but it is no longer available. There are not listed on amazon or ebay, and the third parties selling genuine Celestron cables are asking £93 and £119!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Many thanks , I can get one from the Widescreen Centre tomorrow :) … if I can make the wretched module play ball lol 

People … I have success … of course it wasn’t down to me but a very short YouTube vid that showed me what to do .. my iPad when connected to the scope was set to sky align , I originally didn’t know how to change this but went into settings and entered into manual align .. at this point after centering the first star or planet in this case I just had to point at another star on the SkyPortal map and the scope slewed to that star ( ish ) and after centering I did the same for the third star and hey presto I am aligned .. and now I am happy. Just want to say a really big thanks to you all for your suggestions , ALL of them were genuinely helpful .. I hope by listing what I did it might help someone else who may have the same issue as the instructions are at best ,questionable . Tonight I have to continue building a wardrobe !!!!! I think we all know where this is going 😂😂😂… those instructions are even worse !!!

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1