Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter through thin clouds (11/10/22)

Kon

A very quick session before the clouds rolled in last night. Seeing seemed stable but unfortunately the thin clouds ruined the party. Nothing spectacular but since i got it why not put it here 😜. 8" Dob, manual, asi462, 2.5xTV powermate.

Jupiter_223450_pipp_lapl8_ap21.png.09b3c2b36276afa3a902a3c2b8bf6eed.png

• Like 10

7 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Nice capture.  I set up too late. Got just one run before the opposite roof started its magic thermal show on it. As you say it did look reasonably calm  if i had setup before the roof. I could tell this from the detail coming through. 

Thanks. We can't have it our way can we? I was surprised how stable it looked even though the clouds. At least it was nice being out for a little while.

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks. We can't have it our way can we? I was surprised how stable it looked even though the clouds. At least it was nice being out for a little while.

Even under disturbed seeing my large optics and drive make it easier to get the detail out. It's harder for you with no drives. It's one reason i applaud your shots. occasionally you get real quality. and you're doing it the hard way. I would like to encourage you to get drives. just an eq platform would help with what you're trying to do. But of course. Thats something you have to feel for yourself. but i personally think you would get higher quality. And get to love it. But again i am not you so i dont know ? 

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Even under disturbed seeing my large optics and drive make it easier to get the detail out. It's harder for you with no drives. It's one reason i applaud your shots. occasionally you get real quality. and you're doing it the hard way. I would like to encourage you to get drives. just an eq platform would help with what you're trying to do. But of course. Thats something you have to feel for yourself. but i personally think you would get higher quality. And get to love it. But again i am not you so i dont know ? 

I agree with you. At the moment, I like the simplicity of getting the Dob out in the garden and start imaging but like you have said several times to me I should invest in an EQ platform at least. It's at the back of my mind and I hope to get something soon.

Your results are very admirable with the troubles of manual tracking.

Just shows that its not enough to throw money at the sky and expect miracles, it takes effort and skill to tease the end result out of the work put in and you definitely handle that well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kon said:

I agree with you. At the moment, I like the simplicity of getting the Dob out in the garden and start imaging but like you have said several times to me I should invest in an EQ platform at least. It's at the back of my mind and I hope to get something soon.

I think if you did you would likely think why didn't i do it earlier. You say simplicity. But having the image not constantly moving is actually more simple. Think of all the passes your doing and how many frames your losing ?  Your good enough to progress. I think your holding yourself back. Yes, you're a master at it. But there's a cost I only remind you a lot because i know talent when I see it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Your results are very admirable with the troubles of manual tracking.

Just shows that its not enough to throw money at the sky and expect miracles, it takes effort and skill to tease the end result out of the work put in and you definitely handle that well.

Thanks for your kind words. I think i have learnt a lot here about capture and processing. I still have a long way to go but I am getting the hand of it slowly.  What's important is to be adaptable on the conditions rather than 1 fits all. 

44 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I think if you did you would likely think why didn't i do it earlier. You say simplicity. But having the image not constantly moving is actually more simple. Think of all the passes your doing and how many frames your losing ?  Your good enough to progress. I think your holding yourself back. Yes, you're a master at it. But there's a cost I only remind you a lot because i know talent when I see it.

Always so kind with me! I totally see your point. I am researching the market at the moment so i hope to have something in the near future. I do not plan to build one so whatever I purchase needs to be of good quality.

13 minutes ago, Kon said:

Always so kind with me! I totally see your point. I am researching the market at the moment so i hope to have something in the near future. I do not plan to build one so whatever I purchase needs to be of good quality.

These looked good but says unavailable. Next year would be a good time to get one jupiter 50 + Degrees  I am also trying to plan for it.

Asterion Ecliptica Light Tracking Platform for Dobsonian Telescopes | First Light Optics

Just now, neil phillips said:

These looked good but says unavailable. Next year would be a good time to get one jupiter 50 + Degrees  I am also trying to plan for it.

Asterion Ecliptica Light Tracking Platform for Dobsonian Telescopes | First Light Optics

Yes I was eyeing that one. I read they are made in Ukraine so we know why they are not available; I might drop FLO an email in case they have any updates.