SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sh2-132 HaOiii Starless processing

gorann

Like @ollypenrice and probably others I have started to reprocess "old" data using the starless approach (i.e StarXTerminator and/or StarNet2). This is nearly 7 hours of RASA8 data from September 2020 taken with my ASI1600MM and Baader Ha and Oiii filters.

This nebula is often called the Lion Nebula, not really sure why. Maybe someone can tell me?

I post the new version followed by the 2020 version. As you see I also decided to rotate the image and tweak the colours.

Comments most welcome, even if you tell me that you prefer the old version😁

Cheers, Göran

2022 version

1194212440_20200901-2Sh2-132HaRASAbicolorPS30smallSign.thumb.jpg.1d7bec5551df715cd59ffab054b55f6e.jpg

2020 version

966988016_20200901-2Sh2-132HaRASAbicolorPS20smallSign.thumb.jpg.480dc6172ab3e9792f181548b6ee4e73.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Just been talking about this approach on THIS THREAD started by @carastro and this for me is a prime example of how it can help stop the stars overpowering the nebula.
Both great images by the way but I much prefer the new version 🙂 

Steve

Thanks Steve!

The latest versions of star removal filters are really quite good and for faint nebulae I really feel it is the way to go, and for nebulae that are drowned by the star field (like the Veil). Olly recently started this thread where @Xiga comes with some good advice and pointers.

Cheers, Göran

• Thanks 1

I like some aspects of the new Newbula and some of the old.   Certainly less stars help to show off the Nebula better.   The one I have drawn on above, is my image with some star reduction.  I just don't like to see OTT star reduction which many seem to do these days.

Unfortunately I don't have your lovely dark skies, and so have to rely on Camping trips to get LRGB which I did with the image above.  Waiting for another opportunity to try to do this image better justice.

Carole 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I like some aspects of the new Newbula and some of the old.   Certainly less stars help to show off the Nebula better.   The one I have drawn on above, is my image with some star reduction.  I just don't like to see OTT star reduction which many seem to do these days.

Unfortunately I don't have your lovely dark skies, and so have to rely on Camping trips to get LRGB which I did with the image above.  Waiting for another opportunity to try to do this image better justice.

Carole 

Hi Carole, I also imagined a similar figure in my 2020 image but then it looked more like a puppy than a lion to me🙂

• Haha 1