Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter with 8'' C8-N Newtonian

astrolulu

Thanks! I try not to exceed 3 minutes of collecting frames due to the rotation of Jupiter. With such a short time and limited bandwidth on the camera-laptop line, you have to choose between a wider frame and fewer data, and a narrow frame giving a chance for a better detail. However, since I still have 8 inches at my disposal, which does not allow for high resolution, I usually choose the first option.

Edited by astrolulu

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I showed here some pictures of the Moon taken with very good seeing: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/399534-the-moon-with-8/page/4/#comment-4306419

A similar occasion occurred on October 26, during the transit of Europe, casting its shadow over Jupiter. Ganymede has just completed its passage, and its shadow has not yet appeared on Jupiter's disk. Callisto - dark as usual - is visible on the right side of the photo. The conditions were good enough that some albedo features are also visible on its disk.

JUPITER-2022-10-26-85-Celestron-C8-N.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks! I don't want to advertise anything here, but the ASI178 is a really cool camera for such applications - resolution high enough to cover a sensible piece of the sky or the Moon, but not so large to get into problems with coma or alignment ...

8 hours ago, astrolulu said:

Thanks! I don't want to advertise anything here, but the ASI178 is a really cool camera for such applications - resolution high enough to cover a sensible piece of the sky or the Moon, but not so large to get into problems with coma or alignment ...

I have the mono 178 good cameras. Though for planets I have to say I prefer my QHY 462 c

1 hour ago, astrolulu said:

I only meant the size of the camera's sensor and resolution - especially when taking pictures of the Moon, a higher resolution that covers a larger part of the surface suits me very well.

Re reading. yes of course

Edited by neil phillips

I collected a few frames from that evening. As the seeing deteriorated quite quickly, I reduced the frames size of the whole pictures set to make the quality acceptable and put it into an animation. Cool phenomenon ... On the right, there is a faint Callisto wandering around:

JUPITER-2022-10-26-80-Celestron-C8-N-ani

Edited by astrolulu
  • Like 8

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 12:13, astrolulu said:

Saturday-Sunday night. Camera: ZWO ASI 178 MC + 2x Barlow lens:

JUPITER-2022-10-08-C8-N.jpg

Nice imaging! What mount do you use for this C8 telescope. Does it work on Skywatcher HEQ5-pro?

Why is Jupiter smaller than Damien Peach images of Jupiter. His one is 3 x larger than my moon taken with a 3 inch refractor!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Altair8389 said:

Nice imaging! What mount do you use for this C8 telescope. Does it work on Skywatcher HEQ5-pro?

Why is Jupiter smaller than Damien Peach images of Jupiter. His one is 3 x larger than my moon taken with a 3 inch refractor!

Thanks, C8-N does a great job on a regular EQ-5 - I use the original CG-5 Advanced mount and it's perfectly adequate for solar system shots.

Jupiter's photo is not a native scale - I always scale the image so as to obtain a decent precision of detail and avoid the impression of too much magnification. So depending on the seeing and the quality of the photo, this scale may change.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...