Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroLandscapes #43 (The Aurora Files) - Light and tranquility

On our third night in Senja, we'd scouted a couple of locations during the day.  We noticed this pretty stream some way from one of the mountain passes we'd crossed on the way to the quaint little island fishing village of Husoy. We managed to find a rutted track that we could just about get the car up that took us to a nice meander in the stream near a locked-up hut and we decided to come back that evening.

As soon as we arrived there were some lovely arcs of aurora in the sky. My wife set up her chair and started to sit back and watch the show, while I headed to the bank of the stream to shoot my first set of images looking north.  I loved how quiet everything was and these tall, graceful pillars danced gently and silently high above our heads, and for a fleeting moment the arc of the aurora seemed to mirror the sides of the valley.  Little did I know what was about to happen, but more on that in AstroLandscapes #44!!

This image was with a Canon 6D with a 14mm f/2.8 lens. The sky was a 4s exposure at ISO6400 and f/2.8.  Foreground was 30s exposure at ISO3200 and f/4. Edited in Lightroom and blended in Photoshop.

628448534_20221003Auroralookingnorthovertheriver.thumb.jpg.bba564a4864372b64b75a9e49db769b6.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

I particularly like the lack of human light pollution in this scene!  Well balanced ambient foreground  :)

Paul

Thanks Paul. Absence of artificial light wasn’t actually that easy to track down in our part of Senja! Amazing how car headlights could pop up where you least expect it!