Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with next scope options on AZ-GTi?

Hi all,

I've got a Skymax 127 Mak on my AZ-GTi and have been thinking that I'd like something with a wider field on there.

Mainly for visual use, but thinking longer term I may want to do a little astrophotography, possibly in eq mode with the AZ-GTi or maybe a future mount upgrade. So far I have it narrowed down to 3 options.

Skywatcher 72 ED, 80 ED or 130PDS?

I prefer the increased contrast of a refractor so I think I've ruled out the 130 PDS, my gut says an 80 ED as the kit comes with a 2 inch diagonal and eyepiece to give nice widefield views.

Does this seem like a sensible choice or are there other options I should be considering? The 80 ED would be at the top end of my budget (in an ideal world I'd pick up a used one)

Ideally sticking with the AZ-GTi mount as I love the convenience of the goto and portability (before I get a load of dob recommendations 😂)

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, have a look in this thread for some help with your query. There are quite a few, myself included who use the AZ GTi for imaging but I am not aware of people using an OTA any heavier than around 2kg.

I know @AstroNebulee uses a 72ED. However the 80ED is over 2kg heavier at 4.1kg and if you are wanting to image down the line, you are going to be too heavy I think.

Remember that you will have a guidescope, cameras and counter balance bar + weight  to add to that, not to mention cables which all adds to the weight onto a mount rated up to 5kg.

I use the SW Evoguide + field flattener for my imaging, it's wide field setup which suits the mount well.

HTH

Steve

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Andy, have a look in this thread for some help with your query. There are quite a few, myself included who use the AZ GTi for imaging but I am not aware of people using an OTA any heavier than around 2kg.

I know @AstroNebulee uses a 72ED. However the 80ED is over 2kg heavier at 4.1kg and if you are wanting to image down the line, you are going to be too heavy I think.

Remember that you will have a guidescope, cameras and counter balance bar + weight  to add to that, not to mention cables which all adds to the weight onto a mount rated up to 5kg.

I use the SW Evoguide + field flattener for my imaging, it's wide field setup which suits the mount well.

HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve, I've had a poke around in that thread but it's a bit of a beast now, so many pages

Being realistic, it'll probably be mostly visual and I'm a bit worried that the 72 won't cut it, seen lots of info about people using the 80ED for visual and enjoying it, not so much for the 72.

Or maybe I just get a short tube 80 and forget about imaging

The 80mm might just about do it but you have to bear in mind the pressure you're putting onto the mount, with imaging gear added it might struggle to guide consistently, for visual it should be okay but you might still need a counterweight to keep it balanced. My imaging payload is around 6kg, it's just about okay with the Z61 and 50mm guidescope, with a C6 however you really start to hear those gears turning and see the subsequent struggles in the RMS readings when autoguiding. A 130PDS is technically feasible but I found it wobbles a lot due to wind capture from the scope, so definately wouldn't be useful for imaging or visual - it depends on whether you have a strong thick legged tripod, you'll also need to raise the mount onto a pier extension for clearance from the tripod.

We have used the AZ-Gti and ED80 combination for 3 years at all the Observatory events so far.  It is the perfect combination for that purpose, quick to set up, user friendly, high contrast and can be wide field.  Look no further.

34 minutes ago, Elp said:

The 80mm might just about do it but you have to bear in mind the pressure you're putting onto the mount, with imaging gear added it might struggle to guide consistently, for visual it should be okay but you might still need a counterweight to keep it balanced. My imaging payload is around 6kg, it's just about okay with the Z61 and 50mm guidescope, with a C6 however you really start to hear those gears turning and see the subsequent struggles in the RMS readings when autoguiding. A 130PDS is technically feasible but I found it wobbles a lot due to wind capture from the scope, so definately wouldn't be useful for imaging or visual - it depends on whether you have a strong thick legged tripod, you'll also need to raise the mount onto a pier extension for clearance from the tripod.

Thanks for the info, that was my worry with the pds

33 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Yes, although for visual it would cost me a bit more than the 80ED

16 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

We have used the AZ-Gti and ED80 combination for 3 years at all the Observatory events so far.  It is the perfect combination for that purpose, quick to set up, user friendly, high contrast and can be wide field.  Look no further.

Was hoping someone had used the same combo, good to know! I literally leave it set up in the shed with the skymax 127 and carry out one-handed at the mo, was hoping it would be just as easy

38 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Do you use the ED80 for visual or imaging and if imaging in altaz or eq mode please?

4 hours ago, cajen2 said:

How about this, if you could stretch your budget?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/starfield-102mm-f7-ed-doublet-refractor.html

Give you a whole lot more aperture, good quality optics and still come in under the AZ-Gti's weight limit.😉

It's lovely, but I can't see the financial controller signing off on that 😉 

• Haha 1