Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics UK OMC140C & Feather Touch Focuser

Orion Optics UK OMC140C Deluxe Carbon Tube & Feather Touch Focuser

Strehl 0.989 1/9PV

Received the scope a little while ago and have been making some changes to get it just the way I wanted it. I had ordered the optional top mounting plate and added a CNC machined carrying handle and an ADM dovetail saddle and an 8x50 RA finder. Also added a 2" Baader visual back and WO 2" dielectric diagonal as I wanted something more substantial to hold an Ethos or Baader zoom eyepiece. Unfortunately it was all a bit on the heavy side for using on the Alt-Az mount (modified Manfrotto 405 geared head). Removing the mounting plate, handle, ADM saddle and 8x50 finder reduced the weight by over 2kg!

The top mounting plate had plenty of mounting holes in it that a Manfrotto QR plate could attach to so I used it instead of the dovetail bar and ADM saddle. An Orion 6x30 RA finder (better than some 8x50 finders I've used) replaced the 8x50 and I added a laser pointer and a Rigel Quikfinder. The three finders together only added about 250g. I normally use the laser pointer if no one else is around to be bothered by it, and then the RA finder, otherwise it's the Quikfinder. Cutting the weight down reduced the vibration settling time from about 5 seconds down to about 2 seconds.

At this point I was very happy with the performance of the scope except for the focuser. It is one of the best standard Mak focusers around, but it's still single speed. I looked around at what was available in 2 speed crayfords and it seemed as if the Feather Touch was the only one that would fit. A call to Starlight Instruments determined that their small diameter "shortie" adaptor would just clear the scopes focuser knob by about 1mm and the 1" travel 2" crayford would be right for this scope. 2 1/2 weeks later the focuser arrived and lo and behold it fitted, and indeed cleared the focuser knob by about 1mm. I wouldn't have minded a less expensive focuser such as a Moonlite or Baader as they're still superb focusers, but unfortunately they didn't do anything that would clear the focuser knob. The Feather Touch is very compact and light weight as well as being the best 2" crayford you can buy.

The scope is such a pleasure to use now. Cooldown normally takes about an hour. An added benefit of the new focuser is that it takes such a light touch with just a finger tip to use the fine focus knob that vibration while focusing is almost completely eliminated.

John

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. The optics on this particular scope are better than most Astro Physics or TEC Maks.

Had some razor sharp views of Saturn last night for about 15 minutes before the clouds moved in. The Hyperion zoom works really well with The OMC140 as 8mm to 16mm eyepieces suit the scope, and that's right in the best range of the Hyperion's zoom settings.

On such a long focal length planetary scope that doesn't require a wide FOV and is less demanding on eyepieces the Hyperion zoom isn't that far behind the Ethos. Close enough that I don't usually bother with the Ethos. Of course in my 4.6 f/l dob it's a different story.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words. The Feather Touch was EXPENSIVE but worth every penny. Just makes it so much nicer to use.

I'm using it on a Celestron ASGT mount now. With the latest firmware it's as easy as an Alt-Az mount to set up and handles the OMC140C easily.

John

Exellent!!! I've got the white tube Hilux.

Mounting plate, handle, 2 inch focuser (not to mention the black CF tube and new OMC decal...) You've solved all the little niggles I've had. Don't think the white ones will accept the mounting plate without extra holes. Looks stunning, geometric sets of holes drilled in the tube would "look" nice (cool down time is an issue for me with a shared open yard). My warranty is well up so perhaps I should experiment with that but CF is rigid so...

This is my first proper post here so I'm glad it's about something I really care about. When Orion get it right it ain't wrong. Just wish mt dust cap was made of CF, I'm more careful with that than my finder, ho ho! Seriously though: nice!

Alex

Re: The cheap OMC140 dust cap

I was less than impressed with the OO flimsy dust cap and went looking for an alternative. I bought a Kick Focus (for the Astro Physics 5 inch 130mm) which was the closest size available and just a few mm bigger. I stuck a thin piece of neoprene around the inside and it's a perfect fit and much easier to remove and put back on not to mention being a really solid metal cap. Worth it even if it's only being used as a dust cap.

John

Nice, it might even double as a focusing aid if you hit it with a hammer. My brother just saw and asked if it was a weapon for a Xindi (?) spaceship. As soon as I felt the dust cap I thought "a bit of tape would..." but I didn't, and now it's split. I did think about asking if they sold new ones... Like the way you think.

Archived