SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing lighting

bomberbaz

I realise I am recycling a well discussed topic but in an ever changing world, there are new products coming to the market on a regular basis.

Whilst observing I leave my car hatch opened with my eyepiece cases laid there for easy access. There a handy plastic hook from which I hang one red torch to shine down onto the glass collection, the other red torch is in a jacket pocket which ends up being stuck in my third hand (mouth) whilst I do things at the eyepiece in-between observing. I would prefer something not stuck in either pocket or gob but mounted so I know where it is.

Ideally I would prefer to use some kind of red headset but I observe using a shroud as i find it so comfortable, so inevitably my current forehead mounted headtorch gets in the way, that is why it isn't really getting used. Wondered if anyone has come across a side of head mounted arrangement, something with a simple on/off switch. Mr Stewart is kindly posing with my "near" ideal solution; I say near as a diffuse beam is preferred. (Resistance is futile)

Any suggestions?

borg-picard.jpg.f831ead4613ffb5b738fdb85471cff5c.jpg

Steve

• Like 2

I have done a little digging around and think I may well have found a solution. It isn't ideal as I described above but I am not sure my ideal exists even.

NEXTORCH ECO STAR HEAD TORCH | AAA Headlamp, White/Red Light, 30 lumen — UKMCPro.co.uk

I will paint over the white lights to prevent them accidentally killing my night vision but at 6 lumen the red is as low as I am likely to get and it looks a good shape to be able to fettle some kind of cover for when not needed.

DIY astronomer here I come 🤗

There are other options as well, mainly from Mission Impossible
First, there is Ethan Hunts (AKA Tom Cruise) option
image.thumb.png.52e78f99ddac51230f4bb0d5b5e92e0a.png

Or Emilio Estevez Mission: Impossible Glasses
image.png.caaade6e8ad7855524750f64da16eecb.png

Which appear to be nothing else but MAGLITE SPECTRUM SOLITAIRE LED taped with electrical tape or heat shrink tube on regular glasses. However they come at 33 lm.

image.thumb.png.ecf006bf8091410a3ec96ae3b0d2c1e9.png

I use and can recommend Petzl Actik Core
Red light is at 2lm

image.thumb.png.895b5d7397524864188e1999856f813f.png

Amazon price appears to be OK at the moment.
PETZL Unisex -Adult's Stirnlampe Actik Core Schwarz Lamp, Black, Onesize : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Price history:
image.thumb.png.3104084a1fb781b4f6c59e4be915a1a5.png

Do let us know how it ends up and don't forget, pic or it didn't happen! 🙂

That Borg needs to dip not dazzle 😄

Perhaps you could consider a foldaway camping table. Making things more accessible and can be shielded from any breeze by the car. Often just my dark adaptation is enough to select and replace items from the table.  I do wear a tiny adjustable dim red led head torch over my beanie hat for when required. Some items are still required like you from the boot and the hatch tail light has gaffer tape over. I also use a hand held torch with a variable light setting sometimes worn using a neck cord. 

I agree a headlamp can get in the way sometimes. I tried this from Nite Ize, which holds a torch on the side of the head. They are quite good, but the trick is finding a low lumen torch to go in it. Mine didn't cost that much either, but it was a while ago and I got it from a shop, if I recall correctly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NITE-IZE-Headband-Standard-Black/dp/B000MF2ZLU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3O8JR8P8DUHMI&keywords=nite+ize+headband&qid=1663360243&sprefix=nite+ize+headband%2Caps%2C52&sr=8-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

I agree a headlamp can get in the way sometimes. I tried this from Nite Ize, which holds a torch on the side of the head. They are quite good, but the trick is finding a low lumen torch to go in it. Mine didn't cost that much either, but it was a while ago and I got it from a shop, if I recall correctly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NITE-IZE-Headband-Standard-Black/dp/B000MF2ZLU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3O8JR8P8DUHMI&keywords=nite+ize+headband&qid=1663360243&sprefix=nite+ize+headband%2Caps%2C52&sr=8-2

Do you know what, I have two red torches that I think will fit that. They are dedicated red, no chance of white light screw ups and have a simple on/off button to the rear of the torch. 

I think you may have hit the nail on the head old bean. 

• Like 1