NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Carp fishing chair for lounging with bins?

markse68

Anyone using a carp fishing chair for lounging with bins? Thinking of investing in one but have a couple of questions:

Do the non-reclining ones recline enough with their adjustable legs? Are they stable to use tipped back with the legs like that? They’re lighter and simpler and lower cost than the reclining ones

Would you go for the higher backed versions or is the more standard back supportive enough?

Armrests- seems like a good idea for resting elbows on propping up the binoculars but adds complication/weight/ cost

I was looking at something like this- very light weight and looks pretty sturdy and comfy but maybe not ideal for purpose? 🤔

4276E3B9-75A9-4146-A54A-EDCC42E6C731.thumb.png.11f7997e4ea03ea3b8e08c6e2c2027db.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07JHTR4NW/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3D9EH1DN8DRFF&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

Decathlon do one for a lot less money but it’s heavier and possibly not as good quality

Mark

50 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

However, for astronomy I find a zero gravity chair

Thanks Steve- thinking lightness and compactness- the zg chair looks super comfortable but bigger and heavier. It’s a compromise as always- needs to fit in boot of car etc…

43 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

The make your buying is a top end make and expensive there should be quite a few other makes which would be alot cheaper and do the job you need it for

Thanks Dave, yes i’ve seen similar for half the price from eg Decathlon but they’re heavier and i’d rather get something quality that will last- seems you can buy spare parts for these fox chairs which is worrying but also reassuring ;) cheap enough too

I guess i’m really after if there’s enough reclining just using the front leg extensions to be useful for stargazing?

Mark

Inuse one of those ultralight camp chairs that you pop together Al piles like a tent, the high back and normal do just fine as I slump down in them to reach higher elevations. Much easier to carry about. Only issue is the small foot ends that like to sink into soft soil…. You can get ball attachments to avoid this.

Peter

• Like 2

I very much doubt whether they'll be enough adjustment in the legs for astronomy.  However, there are models with adjustable backrests.

As Dave said, Fox is an upmarket brand.  But they're almost certainly made in China the same as their less expensive competition.  In my experience, the quality is very similar.  However, where Fox are often better is in design for items like bivvies (tents).  With chairs though there's little difference.  Decathlon is better value for money as they cut out the middleman and you're not paying "carp tax".

There are also some camping chairs that fold up like walking sticks.  Depending on your car, these may fit into your boot better.  I have one that has arms plus a high back and used to use it for astronomy until I bought a zero gravity chair.  Like Peter, I used to slump down in mine.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, markse68 said:

Anyone using a carp fishing chair for lounging with bins?

I use the Outwell camping bed with my Orion Monster Parallelogram Mount and 25x100 binoculars.

Its really comfortable and the back is adjustable.

outwell.png

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

That looks interesting, Mick!  Not as comfortable for sleeping as a fishing bedchair and no adjustable legs for uneven ground.  OTOH it's much smaller and lighter than a fishing bedchair.  Does it fold to go in a car boot?

Hi STA, Yeah it folds up but might be to bulky for boot of car, but I put mine in my Vauxhall Combi van, and is light as a feather.

Can fold the bar back so it's like a chair.

We have two for when we go camping, also use it when I go beach fishing.

• Like 1

I have a couple of REI folding camping chairs with arms that recline to about 45* and have a headrest that adjusts up and down - very comfortable.  They're light and small enough to keep in the trunk / boot.  But they don't have any kind of footrest and have unfortunately been discontinued.  I do like the looks of that camping bed.

• Like 1