Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The screen can make an image

Today I was amazed (happens less and less frequently it seems).  I got a new job and was provided with a much larger screen than I normally use--it is very wide but not that much taller than what I normally use--I think the resolution 2560 x 1080.  This did not really impress me much, as I have a 4K laptop--which is much, much smaller with 4K resolution.  But man, when I view an image at full resolution, it fills the screen 100%.  I expected to see blemishes and deficiencies at such a large size--but the images look amazing.  I can actually sit back 5-6 feet and look at an image that would be maybe 4 feet x 4 feet (it extends past the screen edges) and get lost in space!!!   I viewed all of my images--some of which are cringe worthy at full resolution on my laptop despite concerted effort to improve them.  Its like a whole new world!   So consider well the screen size and resolution you will use for astrophotography.  It REALLY makes a difference.

Now, with respect to me getting lost in space at work.....🤫

• Like 2

sounds like one of the ultra-wide screens I've seen at client sites, 34-37 inch wide but regular height. Great option to having dual or triple monitors per person in some ways. Was almost tempted to get one myself for the home office/desk but in the end went for dual 24-inch HD curved ones. That way I can switch one to the work laptop and retain a display for the home PC (well in fact 2 remain on the home PC as I now have 3 screens 😉 ) 

4 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

sounds like one of the ultra-wide screens I've seen at client sites, 34-37 inch wide but regular height. Great option to having dual or triple monitors per person in some ways. Was almost tempted to get one myself for the home office/desk but in the end went for dual 24-inch HD curved ones. That way I can switch one to the work laptop and retain a display for the home PC (well in fact 2 remain on the home PC as I now have 3 screens 😉 ) 

Yes. Multiple is better.  I might be able to partition it and use it as a dual screen. Not sure.  

Yeah, last year my son-in-law the gamer and webpage hosting software developer got one of those 49" ultrawide monitors that nearly fills the width of his 5 foot wide desk in his home office (not his actual office pictured below):

spacer.png

I'm not sure if his new employer paid for it or if he did.  I didn't ask or care.  It looks comical to an old timer like me who learned programming using 3270 terminals in the 70s/80s:

spacer.png

At least they were a major step up from punch cards and punch card readers that were still in use at some universities well into the 80s:

spacer.png

Graphics?  Here's what passed for computer graphics back then:

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

Yeah, last year my son-in-law the gamer and webpage hosting software developer got one of those 49" ultrawide monitors that nearly fills the width of his 5 foot wide desk in his home office (not his actual office pictured below):

spacer.png

I'm not sure if his new employer paid for it or if he did.  I didn't ask or care.  It looks comical to an old timer like me who learned programming using 3270 terminals in the 70s/80s:

spacer.png

At least they were a major step up from punch cards and punch card readers that were still in use at some universities well into the 80s:

spacer.png

Graphics?  Here's what passed for computer graphics back then:

spacer.png

Oh I remember those too, used to punch my own cards back then. Lets also not forget the teletype terminals with paper tape punch and readers 😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

I still receive stock from a supplier accompanied by delivery notes and invoices that are the product of a dot matrix printer. I loved the sound of those.

oh yeah a truly versatile device, tho I didn't try this on the big IBM system printer we had on the System-34

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Lets also not forget the teletype terminals with paper tape punch and readers

I was thinking back to the old continuous chain printers that were so loud they had to be in sound proofed enclosures.

1 minute ago, Swoop1 said:

I still receive stock from a supplier accompanied by delivery notes and invoices that are the product of a dot matrix printer. I loved the sound of those.

I remember the first one I ever heard in the early 80s being near deafening.  It was fast, but the whole printer swayed left to right to achieve that speed.  It was about as loud as contemporary daisy wheel printers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Ahhh, the dulcet tones of technology.

The youth of today are missing out on a lot- dot matrix printers, electric (or even manual) typewriters etc. 

and the banks of flashing lights on the front panel so you knew "the machine" was doing something, perhaps even be able to tell it was stuck in a loop.

• Like 2

Those were the days!

(Are we off topic now?)

Anyhow. I used to do my image processing on a small laptop screen. Last spring I invested in a proper high res screen, although not even close to what is shown here. What a difference! After that I also bought a computer with an i9 processor, so that I could finally upgrade pixinsight to the newest version.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Those were the days!

(Are we off topic now?)

Anyhow. I used to do my image processing on a small laptop screen. Last spring I invested in a proper high res screen, although not even close to what is shown here. What a difference! After that I also bought a computer with an i9 processor, so that I could finally upgrade pixinsight to the newest version.

It’s not only resolution, though.  A 4k laptop screen is super high resolution.  iPhone screens are as well.  Images look better small most of the time ( unless the image is huge in which case there is just too much data in a small area for the eye to perceive well.  But even on my 4k laptop, full resolution often exceeds an images tolerance.  Bug on a big screen like the one I have, the image maintained quality at any size. And full resolution on this screen is huge!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

Ahhh, the dulcet tones of technology.

The youth of today are missing out on a lot- dot matrix printers, electric (or even manual) typewriters etc. 

Ah yes, there was nothing quite as satisfying as the thwack-thwack-thwack of an electric typewriter.  My older sister had one of these.  I was totally smitten with it:

Back on topic, I'm still using a pair of 26" NEC 2690WUXi2's from over a decade ago for photo editing.  I tried a single 43" 4K monitor at work, but didn't care for it.  There was just too much head swiveling and tilting at the distance I had to view it from.  I do like the single 27" 4K monitor I have on another computer at home, other than it's twisted nematic tech and solarizes unless viewed straight on.  One guy at work a decade ago had a 34" center screen and two wide screens vertically on either side.  That way, he could do silicon chip layout in the center while having text documents with multiple pages visible on either side for reference.