NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn 23.3.09 through a 10" Flextube Dob

DaveGibbons

Yup I have lost the plot! Decided to have a go at Saturn with my undriven 10"flextube dob last night. Total opposite of wonderful still conditions a few nights ago. Wind was around 30-35mph and seeing was poor. I used a 2x ultima barlow and allowed the image to drift into view then desperately tried to keep the image on the pc screen by hand. It was jiggling around like a jumping bean and could only manage 300 frames before it would shoot off the screen. The azimuth movement on the teflon pads is just too much of a stop start affair, great for visual . Don't think I will make a habit of it!

cheers

Dave

dob5.bmp

Now that is rough and ready dedication but the image aint too bad can let it drift through then nudge it back :) - too difficult at higher magnif. But just shows you what can be done even in high wind too - Impressive. JohnH.

Definitely a nice shot for the conditions. Don't know if I'd want to go through that too often....:)

About like the other night when I shot over an hour worth of 30sec. subs with a pushbutton remote and stopwatch......never again......:)

Hi Dave,

Try putting a bit of grease on the azimuth bearing surfaces, it does remove the slightly jittery motion when gently nudging.

Mike

PS Sorry, should have said well done on getting any image in the conditions - must have a go myself.

Archived