Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jerking when tracking

newstargazer01

Hi.

I have a small Celestron Nexstar 5SE. 

Although limited by it’s size it is handy and easily Alt/Az aligned. I have been preoccupied with trying to get my larger mount converted to OnStep and have only recently returned to using the 5SE.

When I was looking at Jupiter and Saturn the other night I set it to track on Solar mode. I am not sure that I didn’t have this issue before but when on either of these planets the tracking seems to show a jerking or reset every 2-3 seconds.

Any ideas if this is normal or wha the cause might be.

Thanks

Is the jerk in Alt or in Az ?

Does the jerk occur when tracking in Sidereal and in Moon Rates ?

I don't know the 5SE's motor drive, but if it occurs in all modes, that fast a repetition could be grit or damage to one of the faster moving gears in the gearbox.

Michael

Thank you for getting back to me. The tracking was setup on Alt/Az.

How would I know if it was on the Alt or Az side?

The only options for tracking rates are Sidereal, Lunar and Solar. Do you have a view on the best choice for planets. I often wondered that the SCT is regarded as best for planet work that there is no specific mention on how to track the planets.

How would I know if it was on the Alt or Az side?

Well is the jerking showing in images, or something you heard, or something you saw ?

If in images, Az is up and down, Alt is left and right.

If you can hear it you'll have to use your ear close to each drive.

Michael

Thank you for that information. I initially saw movement and it is like the mount is trying to re-centre.

I think as the planetary movements are quicker it is something I see but I did not see this happening if looking at stars, doubles or clusters etc. There is no sense there of the mount trying to re-centre.

Thanks again

Leave tracking mode when observing planets in sidereal tracking mode. The movements of the planets are too slow to discern any orbital movement unless observing over a very long periods of time. Use solar tracking only for the sun, and lunar for the moon only as these will show larger movements in the sky when observing, especially when using higher magnifications. Also, try to make sure when you align the mount that you align last with the up key pad and the right key pads as this takes out any slack in the gears which can make the tracking lag after a while, again more pronounced when using higher magnifications. I have the larger version 6/8SE mount and that works very well after leveling and alignment.