Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light solar - 13th August 2022

Stu

I managed to drag myself out of bed relatively early this morning and put the scope out to try to catch some reasonable seeing before things got too hot. It turned out to be worthwhile, plenty of action on the disk, and good sharp views in the better moments.

These are a variety of shots, all taken hand held at one eyepiece of my binoviewer 🤪. I use ProCam 8 to capture as it allows very good control of focus and exposure. It also saves raw files which allow better processing results. I use PS Express on my iPhone to process and crop the images.

Not the best I’ve managed, but not too bad.

30C09FFE-E381-4055-A776-F238A4F0A349.jpeg

99D0A600-1E4A-4F2B-967D-6CF304FEAC3C.jpeg

947E64EE-798D-4545-A123-C1DAE94EC880.png

DBBA3052-D646-4517-86EC-1085C492FF2D.png

81197753-9D86-4D32-81EC-D72432502CB2.jpeg

8725E5E0-1EDC-4475-901F-3FD44264BCCE.jpeg

EB8623E4-439E-49A6-B3DD-B9D1907AE5ED.jpeg

CA2BD2E5-F6E2-4123-9284-3C6D61DEB2D8.jpeg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Hi Stu, is this what you mean by granulation- the lighter mottling visible in this image? These look pretty similar to what I saw through the Tal this afternoon

Mark

Hi Mark. No, those features are called faculae, brighter thread-like lines which generally appear near the limb because they show up better where the limb darkening occurs.

Granulation at low power appears like orange peel type mottling over the whole surface. It is normally most obvious in the centre though. At high power though it appears like the whole surface is covered with tiny cells. They are about 1 to 2 arc seconds across, so need high power to see properly. It’s quite hard to describe but when you see it you will know.

This post may be of interest:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Hi Mark. No, those features are called faculae, brighter thread-like lines which generally appear near the limb because they show up better where the limb darkening occurs.

Ah yes I did see such Faculae on the leading limb. Weird to think of the sun having darkening limbs!

Mark

Nice detail in the pics @Stu. Love that setup. Have to laugh at the Binoviewers though. Most people are looking to shorten the light path, you look like you're extending it :) Is that how you get more magnification with suitable GPCs?

Malcolm 

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

Nice detail in the pics @Stu. Love that setup. Have to laugh at the Binoviewers though. Most people are looking to shorten the light path, you look like you're extending it :) Is that how you get more magnification with suitable GPCs?

Malcolm 

🤣🤣 they are a bit ludicrous I must admit! Yes, I have a GPC (either x1.7 or x2.6) just ahead of the binoviewers, then use an AP Barcon element either directly attached or with one or two extension tubes to vary the mag. I find it a faff to change eyepieces so this works much better for me. Image quality is very good.

• Like 1