Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 30th July @330am

Kon

My other target last night was Jupiter. I think this is my best effort so far with this gas giant. 8" Dob, manual tracking, asi462mc, 2x barlow, UV/IR cut filter. PIPP, Autostakkert, Registax and Gimp. I have more captures to go through slowly but these two captures were the best. I think I can improve the processing.

jupiter-2-2.png.0c8b3d7a234871ae927e94194adacbd7.pngjupiter-1-1.png.f0e7a3cb35dd01167c6945b4b4a07915.png

• Like 7

@si@niteand @neil phillips thanks both for the suggestions. Bare with my ignorance but upscaling, does it mean use drizzle or just increase the size ?

Neil, I will look up the value when I am back later and report.

I feel I should be able to pull some more details. Rainy weather tomorrow, so I can rework them .

25 minutes ago, Kon said:

@si@niteand @neil phillips thanks both for the suggestions. Bare with my ignorance but upscaling, does it mean use drizzle or just increase the size ?

Neil, I will look up the value when I am back later and report.

I feel I should be able to pull some more details. Rainy weather tomorrow, so I can rework them .

I think you could be using a 3x barlow with your dob. Aiming for around F15. You may be a tad under sampled. At 2x. Though i do realize this causes more problems undriven of course. A basic drive would really bring a lot to the table. 

Yes try a 1.5x drizzle. it will weaken the wavelet sharpening. But you just adapt to it

Edited by neil phillips

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I think you could be using a 3x barlow with your dob. Aiming for around F15. You may be a tad under sampled. At 2x. Though i do realize this causes more problems undriven of course. A basic drive would really bring a lot to the table. 

Yes try a 1.5x drizzle. it will weaken the wavelet sharpening. But you just adapt to it

According to this calculator I am over sampling. I have a 2.5x powermate but clouds rolled in before i had a chance to test it.

image.thumb.png.9189a61bc2487068e6304463c2a91d82.png

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

es try a 1.5x drizzle. it will weaken the wavelet sharpening. But you just adapt to it

This is a combination of 1.5x drizzle and using a combination of deconvolution in Astrosurface and wavelets in Registax. I think it looks better but happy for your feedback, good or bad..

image.png.1184be1d9c952b8576cb4f9067337405.png

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

This is a combination of 1.5x drizzle and using a combination of deconvolution in Astrosurface and wavelets in Registax. I think it looks better but happy for your feedback, good or bad..

image.png.1184be1d9c952b8576cb4f9067337405.png

Well what do you think? looks a lot better to me. i can see the detail better by a long shot. Drizzle will sort out some of the under sampling. But better to do it with a 3x barlow. But maybe not undriven. As it causes other problems. 

4 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Well what do you think? looks a lot better to me. i can see the detail better by a long shot. Drizzle will sort out some of the under sampling. But better to do it with a 3x barlow. But maybe not undriven. As it causes other problems.

I agree it is a lot better. There is the other one. I have a few more captures to go through so maybe seeing might be better in the others. PS still looking into the EQ platform. Thanks for the tips on the processing.

image.png.57ce28294f9e2aecbf1c74882eaa38b9.png

Just now, neil phillips said:

As far as sampling goes with the 462 c at F5 your slightly under sampled not by a lot though. I would aim for F11 or F12 

BTW from the drizzles first one looks best to me. less over done with contrast and bloating

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

BTW from the drizzles first one looks best to me. less over done with contrast and bloating

Yes I agree, a bit too much; at first it looked good in my eyes.

• Like 1