Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I've been holding out for the askar 400 to come back in stock but started wondering if I should push the boat out and get the gt81, only problem is I couldn't afford the flattener at the same time. I do have a .8 hotech or maybe Altair reducer that's on my ed80 at the moment, how would that do as a temp stand in until I could afford the flat 6a? 

Also, is the wo worth spending the extra on anyway? 

The altair lightwave .8x FR/FF is designed for refractors between f/5.5 and f/8, so should work with GT81 theoretically. Personally I've used a generic TS .79x FR/FF with 3 different scopes (WO Megrez 90, Altair 72EDF and Altair 80EDT-R) and found it worked ok. In the extreme corners I could still see a tiny bit of elongation in the stars, but that was acceptable to me. The real pain with the non-dedicated flattener was I had to figure out the backspace by trial & error and it was different for every scope. That's why I got the riccardi with my APM 115.

As for the quality of GT81 I don't have any direct experience, but heard it's good.

Edited by KP82

I'd get the WO reducer as well if possible as if you try a generic one and your not happy with results, you'll just start convincing yourself the WO one is needed anyway. I've yet to find the reducer/flattener anyway that gives perfect stars into the corners..

27 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I'd get the WO reducer as well if possible as if you try a generic one and your not happy with results, you'll just start convincing yourself the WO one is needed anyway. I've yet to find the reducer/flattener anyway that gives perfect stars into the corners.. 

The gt81 is stretching my budget as it is, my original wish list was the gt71 , askar 400 or sharpstar 76.