NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A fun hour!

Helen

Today was my aunt and uncle's golden wedding, and so at lunchtime I was at a family party with relatives I don't see very often. I got chatting to one of my cousin's children - Thomas who's 11. He started telling me about how he's signed up to Galaxy Zoo, and how he's got a telescope (he didn't know of my interest). So as it was forecast to be clear tonight I asked if he fancied coming to see my Observatory. He jumped at the chance, and so at 7:30 (after the rugby :)) his Dad brought him down and we had some fun.

The first bit was getting the roof off - which he thought was cool. Then we went for M38. There was no doubting when he got it focussed :) he was very excited, and more so when he read in my Messier book about how far away the stars were. His Dad was also wowed, and because he sat there longer he proved the old adage that the longer you look the more you see. By this time Saturn had cleared the trees, so it the obvious next target. Well Thomas' reaction was great - we grinned a lot when we heard him. Unfortunately when he started to describe what he could see it became apparent that actually the scope was so far from focus for him that he could see the donut not saturn :). But we soon put that right and the wows started coming again - and then from his dad too. The cloud was scudding around and so choosing targets was a bit of a challenge, but thankfully M42 was just visible above trees and so we finished with that. They got to see the nebula and picked out the trapezium. Thomas was dead chuffed that he'd seen a nebula :D

By this time it was pretty cold, so we packed it away. Thomas then showed me how to get on to Galaxt Zoo and we classified a few galaxies as a wind down.

It was good fun, and I'm sure that both of them will be down again (which, as well as sharing the astronomy, I'll enjoy as David and I spent loads of time together as children but as adults don't see much of each other)

Helen

Really enjoyed your report Helen. For me, this is one of the best aspects of astronomy, showing other people why you love it :) I will never forget my sister's reaction when she picked out M45 with the binoculars - I don't think she'll forget either.

Amanda

Thanks everyone. As an update, I got to see them again this morning as my aunt and uncle had a renewal of marriage service (nice!). Thomas was still buzzing. His sister recounted how he got home last night a few feet off the floor and started babbling about how Helen's roof came off the shed and then the wall fell down - she said she wasn't sure whether to say 'wow' or 'oh dear' as she wasn't sure whether they were supposed to do that!! But she's decided she's coming next time too, and they are going to bring their grandad (who was in the merchant navy and can naigaet by stars!).

I think Thomas' school friends will hear about it all tomorrow, and his science teacher too I believe!

Great fun

Helen

PS my cousin said he wasn't sure who was having most fun - Thomas or me!

Thanks everyone. As an update, I got to see them again this morning as my aunt and uncle had a renewal of marriage service (nice!). Thomas was still buzzing. His sister recounted how he got home last night a few feet off the floor and started babbling about how Helen's roof came off the shed and then the wall fell down - she said she wasn't sure whether to say 'wow' or 'oh dear' as she wasn't sure whether they were supposed to do that!! But she's decided she's coming next time too, and they are going to bring their grandad (who was in the merchant navy and can naigaet by stars!).

I think Thomas' school friends will hear about it all tomorrow, and his science teacher too I believe!

Great fun

Helen

PS my cousin said he wasn't sure who was having most fun - Thomas or me!

You know the next thing to happen Helen. An invite to the school to talk about astronomy. You will be deluged with questions.:)

Ron.:)

It's so rewarding isn't it Helen :) Nice to hear other people are experiencing the awe we do. I've had a few experiences similar to that, mainly where people just have never 'looked up' before, or the light pollution is so bad in their area that they are astounded when they get to see a relatively dark sky. I also find it adds to their experience if you can give them a few facts about the stars, distances, how many 'suns' in size it is, just as Thomas did looking in the Messier book.

I have just been looking at your signature too, very impressive! Something to aspire to I think! :)

Amanda

You know the next thing to happen Helen. An invite to the school to talk about astronomy. You will be deluged with questions.:)

Ron.:D

My sister has asked me to do a stargazing evening in the summer for her and her boyfriend :) They want a print out of things to look for and all sorts. I am astounded at this as they are only 18, haha, and prefer to sit about and do nothing most of the time. It's amazing how astronomy can get people so interested so fast, it's such an enigmatic subject I think it just draws people in.

The more the merrier.:)

I remember a number of years ago, a troop of Scouts visited out local Observatory, on an arranged visit. Never knew what to expect.

I soon found them to be a very articulate, knowledgeable and well behaved group of young people, who had a genuine desire to learn as much as the could in the time they stayed.

I had learned a good lesson myself. There are lots of great kids, and not all spoiled little towrags.

Ron.:)

Archived