NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bag for big dob.

Morning everyone.

I'm hoping to do some observing at a club site in the near future and I'd like to protect my 10" StellaLyra in transit. FLO sell a carry case from Oklop, but it seems that it probably won't fit my SL as it's a bit bigger and fatter than your standard dob OTA. Any ideas for a big case (or a DIY solution to protect it in transit)?

Cheers,

Pete

https://www.telescope.com/mobileProduct/Accessories/Cases-Telescope-Covers/47x17x18-Orion-Padded-Telescope-Case/pc/3/sc/43/15170.uts

This is the bag I use for my 10 inch Skyline, which is the same scope with a different name.  It's funny, it says it's 47 inch, my scopes OTA is 48 inches and somehow it fits perfectly.  I do have to remove the dual mount finder/laser off to zip it up fully, that wouldn't be necessary with a standard finder scope.  I would think the case shown in a previous post from FLO would work just fine and a quick email to them would get that question answered.  I had to do the same thing when I bought mine.

Edited by Mike Q

Thanks Mike and Cajen,

I'm going to go with a Geoptik one from Rother Valley...they think it will fit (will probably need to remove the alt bearings). I'll report back when it comes.

For the record, FLO got back to me quickly and said they didn't think their bag would fit. The Orion bag obviously would, if it fits Mike's telescope, but I can't find a supplier in the UK.

Pete

I'm not sure why you need a bag.

For a small/medium dobson like that, I would simply put the rocker box in the boot and the tube on the back seats of your car. If you are worried about scratches on the metal tube, you could wrap it up with a blanket.

In any case you will need to check the collimation before using the telescope and dust won't enter in the tube due to the front cap.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Orange Smartie said:

Thanks Mike and Cajen,

I'm going to go with a Geoptik one from Rother Valley...they think it will fit (will probably need to remove the alt bearings). I'll report back when it comes.

For the record, FLO got back to me quickly and said they didn't think their bag would fit. The Orion bag obviously would, if it fits Mike's telescope, but I can't find a supplier in the UK.

Pete

I do believe Orion ships internationally if you need to go that way, but from what I have seen the bags that Rother Valley sells seem to be very good bags.  I did look at Geoptiks we site and if you had concerned about not having enough length you could always see if bumping up to the bag for the 12 inch tube as it is longer 

Edited by Mike Q

On 19/07/2022 at 06:38, Pixies said:

If this was a nice refractor, we'd be talking sandalwood cases and Louis Vuitton bags. But it's a dob, so mucky blankets and bits of string! ;) 

My daughter's 127 Mak is somewhere in the middle.  It's stored in a Walmart duffle bag wrapped in bubble wrap.

I have transported my 8" Dob and put the cradle in the boot and the OTA across the back seat and then chucked a blanket over it. and added a seatbelt around it

• Like 1

I've read of a few ideas for cases / bags.  Not sure what's out there, but you might consider duffel bags, musical instrument cases or bags, sound system equipment bags, or even hard-sided golf club cases.  FWIW.

My scopes are small refractors; I just wrap them in medium density foam rubber in plastic tool boxes.

Edited by jjohnson3803

• 5 weeks later...

Updated to say that I did go with the Geoptik bag and got to use it in anger for the first time last night. I agree with the posters who said that I probably didn't need to use a bag, however it does help to keep the very loose cap in place and it makes it easier for me to move the telescope around. Plus of course it's protected in transit. The bag is a nice snug fit. Not cheap, but I'm pleased with it.

Edited to say that it fits in with the alt bearings in place; obviously I have to take the Rigel and RACI off, but otherwise it's a straightforward fit.

20220821_095041.thumb.jpg.90c0f80f20123f8e780510dc6d32afb3.jpg

Edited by Orange Smartie
Bit more waffle
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Orange Smartie said:

Updated to say that I did go with the Geoptik bag and got to use it in anger for the first time last night. I agree with the posters who said that I probably didn't need to use a bag, however it does help to keep the very loose cap in place and it makes it easier for me to move the telescope around. Plus of course it's protected in transit. The bag is a nice snug fit. Not cheap, but I'm pleased with it.

Edited to say that it fits in with the alt bearings in place; obviously I have to take the Rigel and RACI off, but otherwise it's a straightforward fit.

20220821_095041.thumb.jpg.90c0f80f20123f8e780510dc6d32afb3.jpg

Looks like it is a nice snug fit