NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planets in IR

Kon

I think I was mad trying to do some imaging with the winds we had this morning and my Dob but nonetheless I tried 🤣. As conditions were suboptimal I opted mostly for IR imaging and it brought out some nice details; unfortunately my battery died when I tried to image Venus. Jupiter was not bad in colour (the others were awful) so I am only presenting this one in colour, IR and IRrgb together; it has brought some really nice details out. 8" Dob, 2x barlow, asi462, PIPP, Autostakkert and Astrosurface.

image.png.50360d685c54d29a02cbafceed16c2be.pngimage.png.9df6997be77661a123668b5b3c8c5857.pngimage.png.9251b97b435ae174b7e7a3f1dcc6ffd3.pngimage.png.f2c126469cac029dde15df9400532596.pngimage.png.205b9aa780b6ef67e1db960be36bdeb9.png 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

I continue to be amazed at what you can do with a dob. Is it driven in any way? 

Manual. I let the planets drift through the fov.

Very nice, Kon!  IR seems to be the way to go in dodgy seeing. The detail on Mars is very impressive, I think I can convince myself that Syrtis Major is on the right with the pale region below being the Hellas basin. I could be wrong, but anyway great result for Mars being still so far away and so small!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Manual. I let the planets drift through the fov.

These are great! Almost makes me want to buy a camera but I’d also need a PC as I went “PC free” a few years ago. So for the time being I’ll stick to visual with the occasional smartphone snap. 

Maybe an equatorial platform would be handy? I’m about to make one. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

These are great! Almost makes me want to buy a camera but I’d also need a PC as I went “PC free” a few years ago. So for the time being I’ll stick to visual with the occasional smartphone snap. 

Maybe an equatorial platform would be handy? I’m about to make one. 

Thanks. I am also PC free for the past 20 years 😉; I am running everything on my Mac. I like how the planetary camera has brought a new dimension to my imaging.

I am looking to buy a platform since I am rubbish in DIY. I have seen your amazing progress with your Dob.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

Very nice, Kon!  IR seems to be the way to go in dodgy seeing. The detail on Mars is very impressive, I think I can convince myself that Syrtis Major is on the right with the pale region below being the Hellas basin. I could be wrong, but anyway great result for Mars being still so far away and so small!

Thanks Nik. I would agree with you about the features. I think it would have been nice to be able to combine with some colour data. Let's hope to some better conditions next time.

Well done Kon for getting out there ( I bottled It ) your Ir shots are producing some lovely fine details. It's also very encouraging to see Mars strutting It's magic too. The rgb Jupiter as a great colour balance also.👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Thanks. I am also PC free for the past 20 years 😉; I am running everything on my Mac. I like how the planetary camera has brought a new dimension to my imaging.

I am looking to buy a platform since I am rubbish in DIY. I have seen your amazing progress with your Dob.

I’ve never owned a PC. The last computer I had was a Mac too! If/when I get another it’ll probably be a Mac.

One of the problems with DIY is the time it takes. You also need tools and if you don’t own those already it obviously costs money, but of course they can then be used for other projects. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Well done Kon for getting out there ( I bottled It ) your Ir shots are producing some lovely fine details. It's also very encouraging to see Mars strutting It's magic too. The rgb Jupiter as a great colour balance also.👍

Thanks Martyn. I went for your suggestion on gain 300 and I was nearly shooting at nearly 300fps with a small capture window.

• Like 1

I have often attempted to image in crazy conditions kon. We are alike it seems. Getting some good details coming through. Jupiter showing nicely. But loving that early mars some nice shadings being apparent now. It does look like the Hellas basin. Well done for getting some good early detail on a tiny Mars.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I have often attempted to image in crazy conditions kon. We are alike it seems. Getting some good details coming through. Jupiter showing nicely. But loving that early mars some nice shadings being apparent now. It does look like the Hellas basin. Well done for getting some good early detail on a tiny Mars.

I like the challenge and it gives me time to play with settings/processing. We just need a few nights of excellent seeing which we have not had in a very long time.

Fot Jupiter, I used your suggestion in PIPP for the WB and it helped a lot to get a more natural colour (I always seemed to have had a bluish tinge instead of white). Mars is also coming along and looking forward to both observing and imaging it more.

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

I like the challenge and it gives me time to play with settings/processing. We just need a few nights of excellent seeing which we have not had in a very long time.

Fot Jupiter, I used your suggestion in PIPP for the WB and it helped a lot to get a more natural colour (I always seemed to have had a bluish tinge instead of white). Mars is also coming along and looking forward to both observing and imaging it more.

Excellent glad the tipp has helped. Pipp does a great job of re balancing the RGBs. A great piece of software. The software designer use to frequent the forum quite a lot from years gone by, haven't

Chatted with him, or seen him around for a long time. Hope hes doing ok. (if anyone knows) But yes your colour balance should even out nicely with the histo equalization.

And a fine job your doing with it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...