Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq dir cable into asi 533 hub

I’m wanting to do away with the usb3 hub on my mount that has the eq dir cable and usb from the camera but I was wondering if the usb hub onboard the 533 would run the eq direct cable aswell as the guide cam so I can just have the one usb3 cable from the camera to the lappy?

I ask as I would need to buy a longer eq dir cable and a new 3m usb3 cable but before I shell out I need to know if the single usb3 cable from the camera to the laptop could handle the data from the guide cam, main cam and eq dir commands? 
im just thinking of ways to get rid of as many cables as possible 

It is to control the mount, the commands would be sent through the usb3 cable from the laptop to the usb2 hub onboard the camera to which the eq dir cable is plugged into, that usb2 hub on the camera must take commands because a filter wheel takes commands if one was plugged into the on camera usb hub

i already have the guide cam plugged into one of the usb2 ports on the camera and that takes commands like changing exposure time etc

what difference would it make if the eq dir is plugged into the port aswell? 
All I would be doing is unplugging the eq dir cable from the hub I use on the telescope and plugging it into the cameras usb hub instead, doing away with the usb hub on the scope 

Edited by Craig a

34 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

OK. Try it then and see if it works.

That’s the thing I Carnt try it as the eq dir cable I have is too short and I would need a longer one, the scope is permanently setup outside and I don’t want to disassemble the cable management now if it wouldn’t work 

If you are using EQMOD or GSServer to control the mount then USB2 is fine.  There is not a lot of traffic between the mount and computer.  I had to google the camera as I've not seen a camera with a USB hub inside.  So in theory you can use a long USB3 cable between the PC and the camera, then have your EQDIR cable plugged into one of the USB ports on the ASI533, with your guide camera connected to the other.  But that then leaves you with nowhere to plug your filter wheel in, so you would still need another USB cable between that and the PC.  You technically have three devices and two ports whichever combination you want.

Personally I would have the guide camera and filter wheel plugged into the ports on the ASI533 and then use a decent active USB 3 cable from the ASI533 to the PC and connect the mount via its own USB2 active extension cable to the PC.  The large amount of data coming down from both cameras will make use of the USB3 specs.

Thanks for your reply but I don’t use a filter wheel that was just an example that the on camera hub does take commands to control a filter wheel if I did have one, all I would be connecting is the guide cam and eq dir cable    

19 minutes ago, Craig a said:

Thanks for your reply but I don’t use a filter wheel that was just an example that the on camera hub does take commands to control a filter wheel if I did have one, all I would be connecting is the guide cam and eq dir cable    

Right, in that case I personally can't see a problem, a decent USB3 cable (over 3m I would use an active cable) between camera hub and pc and then plug the EQDir cable and guide camera into the USB2 ports on the camera

Edited by malc-c

Malcolm posted his reply just before I was posting this, I continued to post as I did not see you mention any other free usb ports on the laptop.

How many free usb ports do you have on the laptop?

The USB design allows for daisy chaining which is why we have USB hubs. The USB2 ports on the camera are a usb hub (it even says so in the manual) so you can connect other devices to the camera and have one single connection (USB3) to the computer. If you have spare usb ports on the computer you can still use them too.

USB2 is fine for mount control so in the absence of other ports you could use the camera ones for a limited setup as you inferred.  Guide & mount to the camera usb2 and a usb3 camera cable to a usb3 laptop port

Thanks for your reply’s, that’s exactly what I was wanting to do and know if it would work before I went and purchased a longer eq dir cable to reach from the mount to the 533 usb hub, that’s put my mind at ease and will go ahead and order one, along with a good quality 3m usb3 cable for the cam to laptop connection thanks all much appreciated 

Edited by Craig a