Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone used a 3D print service for small one off parts?

almcl

I am looking for a 3d printing service.

A while ago I used 3D Hubs but they have now changed their business model from lots of independents who could quickly make something small for little money to a more commercial approach.

Have looked at other sources, but while the cost of the part comes out at under £2 on several sites, all want a minimum order of around £40, which isn't sensible for a single part less than 30 mm long by 20 mm wide and whose stl file is only 200 kb.

I can't really justify getting a 3D printer of my own, not needing 3D printed items more than once every 4 years or so, and wonder if anyone knows of a UK based one-off service that doesn't need a commercially sensible quantity of parts?

Julian

It's a small part for a remote control (non-astro).  Original material might possibly PVC, but anything similar (nylon or a bit more rigid) would do.

It looks like this (stl file available) and is 30 mm long  and 18 mm at the widest part:

Untitled-2.jpg.28fb736ddd5d9e8a829de826009a3a40.jpg

I used 3dprintUK to print off some point motor mounts for model railways this time last year

S3020004.JPG.95fcc4955509726444fd6f5d3519dd6f.JPG

S3020001.JPG.3b239c805d41d5ffd8b1c0468edd7434.JPG

The process used was SLS with Nylon as the product, and the resolution as you can see is very good.

They have a minimum order value, so depending how you reduce the footprint means the unit price drops as you get more pieces for that amount.  Eco production (about two to three weeks turn around ) came in at £55 including postage and VAT and gave me 21 units which is more than enough for my intended layout.  A faster service is available but the price increases.  

Hope that helps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, almcl said:

Julian

It's a small part for a remote control (non-astro).  Original material might possibly PVC, but anything similar (nylon or a bit more rigid) would do.

It looks like this (stl file available) and is 30 mm long  and 18 mm at the widest part:

Untitled-2.jpg.28fb736ddd5d9e8a829de826009a3a40.jpg

You can upload the stl file to that website I suggested and they will give you an instant quote.  It's cheaper to have individuals than making a spur frame with lots attached as that gets treated as one piece.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, almcl said:

I am looking for a 3d printing service.

A while ago I used 3D Hubs but they have now changed their business model from lots of independents who could quickly make something small for little money to a more commercial approach.

Have looked at other sources, but while the cost of the part comes out at under £2 on several sites, all want a minimum order of around £40, which isn't sensible for a single part less than 30 mm long by 20 mm wide and whose stl file is only 200 kb.

I can't really justify getting a 3D printer of my own, not needing 3D printed items more than once every 4 years or so, and wonder if anyone knows of a UK based one-off service that doesn't need a commercially sensible quantity of parts?

Is the part something you can sell if you only wanted one off.  - If not then ignore my posts - they too have a set price which would make a one off expensive !

11 hours ago, malc-c said:

You can upload the stl file to that website I suggested and they will give you an instant quote.  It's cheaper to have individuals than making a spur frame with lots attached as that gets treated as one piece.

Thanks for the thoughts, Malcolm.

I think that was one of the websites I tried but their 'minimum order charge' (perfectly understandable) made them uneconomic.  I don't think there are opportunities to sell the surplus - there are precious few of these remotes in use and it tends to be the electronics that break rather than the case hardware.

Given a sufficiently thin block of plastic, I could probably sculpt something with a craft knife, files and sandpaper but think a 3D print would probably be neater!

Edited by almcl

Just done a google search and found this they state no set up or minimum order fee.  It seems as if they have a hub of independent companies offering the service "Craftcloud is your 3D printing service marketplace.".  The only thing is that with one off  items the cost could still be £20 or £30 even if in real terms it uses £2 worth of materials and doesn't take a lot of machine time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, malc-c said:

I used 3dprintUK to print off some point motor mounts for model railways this time last year

S3020004.JPG.95fcc4955509726444fd6f5d3519dd6f.JPG

S3020001.JPG.3b239c805d41d5ffd8b1c0468edd7434.JPG

The process used was SLS with Nylon as the product, and the resolution as you can see is very good.

They have a minimum order value, so depending how you reduce the footprint means the unit price drops as you get more pieces for that amount.  Eco production (about two to three weeks turn around ) came in at £55 including postage and VAT and gave me 21 units which is more than enough for my intended layout.  A faster service is available but the price increases.  

Hope that helps

Oh I like those.
I have done a bit of railway modeling but not had time for a year or two, however, still hpe to pick it up sometime soon.
I like using servos for point control as you can replicate a slow movement of the switch blades rather than the clunk clunk clunk of point motors.
But that setup looks a lot better than the way I used them with bell cranks.

Is it a design of your own or readily available ?

Steve

5 hours ago, almcl said:

Brilliant, Malcolm!

Have just ordered two for an all in price of just £6 - just what was needed!

Result.... post up a picture of the printed item when you receive it

4 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Oh I like those.
I have done a bit of railway modeling but not had time for a year or two, however, still hpe to pick it up sometime soon.
I like using servos for point control as you can replicate a slow movement of the switch blades rather than the clunk clunk clunk of point motors.
But that setup looks a lot better than the way I used them with bell cranks.

Is it a design of your own or readily available ?

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That's why I opted to go down the servo route, I hated the clunk of solenoids, especially if you fire several at once !  - I can't take full credit for the design.  It's based on a MERG offering, although I refined it somewhat and added a few features.  The idea was to make them available through mail order, but it seemed that even at £5 each plus a servo based on a box of 10 inc post and packing people complained at the price, and so I never bothered.  

I also made my own PCB controller that uses an Arduino Nano and the PCA9685 to control 16 servos.  The board can be programmed so that each channel can be used either as a point motor, or for quadrant semaphore signals, including random bounce when the signal arm falls.  The end points and speed is fully programmable for each servo, so you get a very realistic movement of a signal, point or level crossing barriers.  It's like a combined servo controller and mimic panel board from Megapoints  - The prototype can be seen below

P1019725.jpg.b025723fa3949d360c3e47de2a03aea7.jpg

I've attached the individual components I obtained  (mount, rack and pinion) so feel free to get some made up if you wish

Servo Mount ten up (1).stl

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, malc-c said:

Result.... post up a picture of the printed item when you receive it

Certainly will!

Just had a email to say it's being printed, so fingers crossed won't have to wait too long.

Just to round this off, two items arrived in the mail this morning and look as though either one will do the job just fine:

401461680_3_Dprint.jpg.b7b5b6f67f333f37b2faa11f23d6c5b8.jpg

So, just over a week from order to reception, Royal Mail 2nd class delivery.  Quicker options were available, but I was in no rush, so this suited fine.

Definitely one to bookmark for the future.

• Like 2

Hi @almcl, notice you're in Telford.

If you want someone local to you who would do your prints for you then pop into 3D Printz on Hortonwood, they are open most all week days, it says trade counter but the public are more than welcome, they have printers sitting in the back doing nothing most of the time I think and so will help you out if you wants (Peter the boss).

https://3dprintz.co.uk

Edited by EarthLife