NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M92 With Distant Galaxies

juno16

Hi All!

I just want to share my last image from 5/27/22. It was about a month since I got out and I had a super smooth and enjoyable evening imaging. 

Equipment:

Explore Scientific ED102 reduced to 571mm, ASI 533 MC-P, and Skywatcher HEQ5Pro (Rowan Mod).

Imaged with GSS/NINA/PHD2 and processed in Pixinsight and PS CC.

A bit over 5 hours with a UV-IR Cut filter.

This is only my second glob, but I was also trying to capture many of the small and distant galaxies scattered throughout the fov. 
I was very pleased to find lots of galaxies around 400 Mly distant and one I could identify at 810Mly away (PGC 59859). I visually counted about 63 tiny galaxies in the image.

1010629144_M92andDistantGalaxies-Final.thumb.png.2eafb49814732d217b50fb4a61843e12.png

One faint fuzzy is particularly nice at ~400Mly, NGC 6336.

NGC6336.png.3bf4dec51b0494bccc591266c6577b93.png

Annotated version of the full image.

M92_and_Distant_Galaxies_Final_Annotated.thumb.jpg.3fe1b57710bde6c6a3947cae765dd065.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jim

• Like 14

6 hours ago, simmo39 said:

V nice, I just wish i had your get up and go to image this time of the year. Packed up my kit early May and wont get it ready again till Aug!

Hi simmo39 and thanks!

I don't get out too much during the summer here in south Mississippi. Poor weather, hot, humid, bugs, and less imaging time make it a bit less fun.

I am getting older though and after a month or so, I get excited to get out for a bit. Also, if I don't get out every now and then, I get behind on software upgrades and tend to make more simple (bonehead) mistakes. I like to tweak things a lot and it was about a month since my last outing. I had since made DEC and RA worm adjustments in the downtime, so I really needed to see how things would go.

I was happy to see that I had no issues and the equipment ran very well. That alone made it a successful night!

I'll bet that you are itching to get back at it!

Jim

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, juno16 said:

Hi simmo39 and thanks!

I don't get out too much during the summer here in south Mississippi. Poor weather, hot, humid, bugs, and less imaging time make it a bit less fun.

I am getting older though and after a month or so, I get excited to get out for a bit. Also, if I don't get out every now and then, I get behind on software upgrades and tend to make more simple (bonehead) mistakes. I like to tweak things a lot and it was about a month since my last outing. I had since made DEC and RA worm adjustments in the downtime, so I really needed to see how things would go.

I was happy to see that I had no issues and the equipment ran very well. That alone made it a successful night!

I'll bet that you are itching to get back at it!

Jim

Hi Jim. Yep cant wait, I pass some of the time doing a bit of solar stuff but at the moment its all cloud here so thats out!

• Like 1

Superb image Jim.  Really enjoyed the framing to pull in all those faint galaxies.

12 hours ago, juno16 said:

One faint fuzzy is particularly nice at ~400Mly, NGC 6336.

👍

The annotated image is a nice addition.  As always it helps zero in on some of the really small ones.

• Thanks 1