SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is anybody aware of or using any plug ins that work with GIMP.

After a steep learning curve I am now getting used to it and like using it now. Just wondered if there are any plug ins people are using, costs and effectiveness of any of these.

I found this page with a number of plug ins Gimp Plug-Ins - Programme - Georgs Homepage (hennigbuam.de) and also this PyAstro for GIMP (weebly.com) but before I start messing around, (I am still on that curve) I was looking for others experience.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

I'd need to check but I think I've got HLVG working in GIMP

appears I do not so must have confused that with getting HLVG going in paintshopro and affinity, but have found something to try

Edited by happy-kat
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Anybody ? 🤔

I have tried Pyastro and didnt find it that useful. I tend to use GMIC which is not astro specific but certainly helps. I do my initial processing in SIRIL and its only the final polishing that gets done in Gimp

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

I have tried Pyastro and didnt find it that useful. I tend to use GMIC which is not astro specific but certainly helps. I do my initial processing in SIRIL and its only the final polishing that gets done in Gimp

Ah now this is interesting, I have SIRIL installed but not had a go with it yet.

How do you find it for user friendliness?

17 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

user friendliness

Hi

If you like modern clean screen apps, you'll get on well with it. If you're expecting old school menus-along-the-top-windows-everywhere style, less so.

To begin, we'd recommend learning it manually; put yourself in charge.

Cheers and good luck.

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

If you like modern clean screen apps, you'll get on well with it. If you're expecting conventional menus-along-the-top with windows everywhere, less so.

To begin, we'd recommend learning it manually; put yourself in charge.

Cheers, HTH and good luck.

is this Siril - Full image processing (pre-processed with scripts) something that should be read then? 

I don't want to sound negative but just stating "learn it manually" doesn't tell me a lot to be fair!

I am reasonably computer literate but by no means a wizard.

cheers

steve

Edited by bomberbaz

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

something that should be read then

No. 

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

learn it manually" doesn't tell me a lot

Learn it manually simply means do this

After working through that, you'll not only understand why you're calibrating and stacking but could be left wondering why you'd need anything automated in the first place.

You'll also be in a much better position to troubleshoot what went wrong and what you missed out on doing when it did. You need only look at the posts concerning processing e.g. flat frames on this very forum to realise the frustration and time wasted not knowing!

Cheers and good luck.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, alacant said:

No. 

Learn it manually simply means do this

After working through that, you'll not only understand why you're calibrating and stacking but could be left wondering why you'd need anything automated in the first place.

You'll also be in a much better position to troubleshoot what went wrong and what you missed out on doing when it did. You need only look at the posts concerning processing e.g. flat frames on this very forum to realise the frustration and time wasted not knowing!

Cheers and good luck.

Thank you very much, just found it on the tutorial menu page Siril - Tutorials (along with many others), it's amazing what you can see when you look 🙄

I note it is listed as a 2 out of 5 for difficulty! Challenge accepted 😉

cheers

steve

• Like 1