SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1805 - Heart Nebula

AstroGS

This was the first ever try on the Heart Nebula. Managed to get close to 8 hrs of data over 2 nights.

WO GT81 + Flattener

ZWO ASI533MC

Optolong L-Extreme

ASIAir Plus, ZWO EAF & ASI290MM guide camera

EQ6R-Pro

Light frames: 46 x 600secs

Darks: 40

Bias: 50

Flats: 50

IC1805_RGB.jpg

IC1805_RGB_Annotated.jpg

IC1805_RGB.png

Edited by George Sinanis
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, George Sinanis said:

This was the first ever try on the Heart Nebula. Managed to get close to 8 hrs of data over 2 nights.

WO GT81 + Flattener

ZWO ASI533MC

Optolong L-Extreme

ASIAir Plus, ZWO EAF & ASI290MM guide camera

EQ6R-Pro

Light frames: 46 x 600secs

Darks: 40

Bias: 50

Flats: 50

IC1805_RGB.jpg

IC1805_RGB_Annotated.jpg

IC1805_RGB.png

Lovely image, can I ask for your processing techniques to get the colour, as I use an L-eXtreme, and only get all red images….👍🏼

8 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Lovely image, can I ask for your processing techniques to get the colour, as I use an L-eXtreme, and only get all red images….👍🏼

Used Pixinsight to calibrate, integrate and process the image.

No special colour calibration whatsoever tbh. The only difference for this image, was the fact that I used the noiseExterminator plugin (simply the best noise reduction tool yet) for PI but, that is is irrelevant. 

I have started taking longer exposure subs (from 3-5 mins to 10mins) which definitely helps a lot in the detail and probably with colours too.

Edited by George Sinanis

6 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

Used Pixinsight to calibrate, integrate and process the image.

No special colour calibration whatsoever tbh. The only difference for this image, was the fact that I used the noiseExterminator plugin (simply the best noise reduction tool yet) for PI but, that is is irrelevant. 

I have started taking longer exposure subs (from 3-5 mins to 10mins) which definitely helps a lot in the detail and probably with colours too.

This is what confuses me, if I put my L-extreme data in APP it stacks and comes out just red, as below, yet others can stack in PI and they come out as your colours are, why so different…..🤔🤔

278BFAC2-1373-45B4-9EA7-292B107EA69D.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

This is what confuses me, if I put my L-extreme data in APP it stacks and comes out just red, as below, yet others can stack in PI and they come out as your colours are, why so different…..🤔🤔

I use the L-enhance filter and my images come out red too (although I tend to use Nebulosity 4 and Affinity for processing rather than PixInsight or APP) - the one below is from last year with a WO 81 GT IV

IC1805v2 (1).jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

I would dare to say that i started getting more colour depth when my subs were around 10 mins each. Could that be a reason? More exposure time = more data = more colour?

19 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

I put my L-extreme data in APP it stacks and comes out just red

Hi

We're not fans of the 'L-e*' filters. Unless you're going to split channels, we find a simple UHC gives you a far more interesting colour whilst still controlling the stars. Even then, a UHC channel split -e.g. to HOO- works just as well.

Here is a UHC example. No channels; just stacked as a colour image.

Cheers and HTH

162515530_1-heart(1).thumb.jpg.9e4b7e9bad36fce4b4637d4bf76defbf.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, George Sinanis said:

I would dare to say that i started getting more colour depth when my subs were around 10 mins each. Could that be a reason? More exposure time = more data = more colour?

Well, no as mine shows the natural colour, yours was processed with some Hubble like palette settings, but looks nice, the exposure length will not change this….I just wondered what settings you used to get those colours, as it’s not a standard RGB image as mine is…🤔

7 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

We're not fans of the 'L-e*' filters. Unless you're going to split channels, we find a simple UHC gives you a far more interesting colour whilst still controlling the stars. Even then, a UHC channel split -e.g. to HOO- works just as well.

Here is a UHC example. No channels; stacked das a colour image.

Cheers and HTH

162515530_1-heart(1).thumb.jpg.9e4b7e9bad36fce4b4637d4bf76defbf.jpg

Very nice, but with blue fringing on the stars and some bloat, but I’m sure there is a way to control that in processing, but don’t ask me how….👍🏼

30 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Well, no as mine shows the natural colour, yours was processed with some Hubble like palette settings, but looks nice, the exposure length will not change this….I just wondered what settings you used to get those colours, as it’s not a standard RGB image as mine is…🤔

Not sure - interesting indeed. Let me upload the final stacked unprocessed image when i get home as FYI. You might be able to shed some light here because i am not sure either 🙂

Nice image George! I do like the hubble-esque palette as well. 

When you do a regular preview stretch with l-extreme data (after background extraction and colour calibration) the data will be strongly red. However, if you perform an unlinked preview stretch the intensity of each channel is similar to one another which results in less domination of the red channel.

If I had to hazard a guess, did you perform the unlinked preview stretch, copy settings from ScreenTransferFunction to Histogram Transformation and perform the stretch? That may explain the lower intensity of red in the final image. 

• Like 2

There's loads of tutorials on YT about hubble palette-style images from an OSC (or DSLR) using an L-extreme/enhance filter.  Here's 2 from one of my favourite channels, one for Pixinsight the other for Siril:

OSC Hubble Palette Guide! - Easy PixInsight Tutorial - YouTube

Siril Beginner's Tutorial! - Hubble Style OSC Narrowband With FREE Software! - YouTube

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Richard_ said:

When you do a regular preview stretch with l-extreme data (after background extraction and colour calibration) the data will be strongly red. However, if you perform an unlinked preview stretch the intensity of each channel is similar to one another which results in less domination of the red channel.

If I had to hazard a guess, did you perform the unlinked preview stretch, copy settings from ScreenTransferFunction to Histogram Transformation and perform the stretch? That may explain the lower intensity of red in the final image. 

Ah, now that’s interesting, as I use APP for stacking and calibration, so I assume the stretch in that is all linked, with no option to unlink….🤔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richard_ said:

Yes i do indeed by clicking CTRL + Nuke!

• Like 1

SHO processing with L-extreme:

Lot's of ways to do it - it comes down to the G (best to ignore B with L-extreme) being overwelmed by the R signal.

George might have did a photometric calibration ? You can do the same in Siril - this will even out the channels, and stop the red overwelming things.

To do an SHO, the basic technique is splitting out the channels. easy in Siril or PI or even affinity photo.

R is your Ha. G is your Oiii, and B is just a very noisy copy of G so delete it. So G is you B really. So we'll call that B.

Then create an articifial 'G' - something like 60% R + 40% G. lets call that G. You can do that with pixmath on Siril or PI.

Now you have an Ha (R), fake Sii (G), and Oiii (B)

You want to spent a bit of time getting them all to be the same sort of historgram (i.e. same 'hill') so they are each contributing a similar amount of data using levels/curves. And feel free to denoise to at this stage.

To SHO, combine then :

L = R

S = R or G

H = R or G

O = B

The reason I put R or G, is its best to try both S=R, H=G and S=G, H=R to see which you like best. Most of the time I fine S = R, H = G (i.e. wrong way round) gives better results.

You might need an SCNR afterwards.

Then you can play with curves, etc.

You're looking to try and use the pixmathed channel to create a transitional colour. by playing with stuff like affinity photo recolour or PI colour curves you can start to mimik the SHO look and get reds, orange/yellows (golds ) and blues.

stu

• Like 2