SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supernova in Ngc 4647

Hi , thought i would have a try for the new (SN2022HRS) supernova that was discovered on the 16th of this month in NGC4647 in Virgo. It outshines the host galaxy easily. It consists of 10x600s stacked and processed in APP and Photoshop.

Equipment used, OOUK ODK12 ,  A A 294c ProTec Hypercam,  Ioptron 120ec mount. Zwo 290 mini guide cam.

Capture Software  APT.  and guided with Phd2.

Bob

10FRS_600S-SUPERNOVA copy.jpg

10FRS_600S-SUPERNOVA  2022HRS.copy.jpg

• Like 10

13 hours ago, markse68 said:

It looks like it must be really huge SN!

Yes Mark thanks for your comment, it must be one powerful event. The mind boggles at such a thing.

Bob.

I love the blue colour, confirmed by the spectrum which is brighter at the blue end

Here is the raw  spectrum image. (Using an ALPY 600 spectrograph)

SN2022hrs_ALPY600_raw_4x600s_20220422.png.3b631ddbb5c077b42650b91bbc1bf053.png

The deep absorption line marked is from singly ionised Silicon formed by nuclear fusion in the thermonuclear explosion of  the white dwarf (this is a type 1a). 

(The other lines in the background are from natural airglow and light pollution)

and here is the calibrated spectrum 

image.png.aff27d6d9d5969a1506f2cbb4756546e.png

We can measure the velocity of the  material thrown out by the explosion by how far the absorption line has been blue shifted due to the doppler effect (~15000 km/s.) The silicon is actually from the partially "nuclear burned" material near the surface of the white dwarf. Heavier elements up to Iron are produced  by further fusion deeper within the explosion. It is near maximum at about mag 12.5 currently which, taking into account the distance to the galaxy makes it several billion time more luminous than the sun

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro
clarification
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, robin_astro said:

I love the blue colour, confirmed by the spectrum which is brighter at the blue end

Here is the raw  spectrum image. (Using an ALPY 600 spectrograph)

SN2022hrs_ALPY600_raw_4x600s_20220422.png.3b631ddbb5c077b42650b91bbc1bf053.png

The deep absorption line marked is from singly ionised Silicon formed by nuclear fusion in the thermonuclear explosion of  the white dwarf (this is a type 1a). 

(The other lines in the background are from natural airglow and light pollution)

and here is the calibrated spectrum 

image.png.aff27d6d9d5969a1506f2cbb4756546e.png

We can measure the velocity of the  material thrown out by the explosion by how far the absorption line has been blue shifted due to the doppler effect (~15000 km/s.) The silicon is actually from the partially "nuclear burned" material near the surface of the white dwarf. Heavier elements up to Iron are produced  by further fusion deeper within the explosion. It is near maximum at about mag 12.5 currently which, taking into account the distance to the galaxy makes it several billion time more luminous than the sun

Cheers

Robin

Thanks Robin for this information,  it is a bit above my old head though to take in but i am fascinated by all of it, thank you very much .

Bob.

1 hour ago, bob-c said:

Thanks Robin for this information,  it is a bit above my old head though to take in but i am fascinated by all of it, thank you very much .

Bob.

Ahh good, not just me then 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, callisto said:

Ahh good, not just me then 😂

Questions welcome, just ask away !

Supernovae are a particular interest of mine.  They were once mostly discovered by  amateurs as this one was  but now most are found by professional survey telescopes. When you discover what is possibly a supernova you then have get it confirmed and determine what type it is by taking a spectrum.  (I started doing this in 2016 and have about 40 official classifications to my name now)  This one was confirmed officially from a spectrum by  Italian amateur Claudio Balcon (just 50 minutes after it was announced) so it is an "all amateur" supernova.

Supernovae are exploding stars of course but there are two main types.  Some are massive stars which suddenly run out of fuels and collapse under gravity causing the explosion (type II). This one though is a white dwarf in a binary star system which has been grabbing material from its companion until it reached critical mass and exploded like a nuclear fusion bomb. These are the type 1a which are used to measure distances and led to the discovery of dark energy for example

Cheers

Robin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you have a deep sky capable camera you can take a spectrum of bright supernovae like  this just by putting a diffraction grating between the telescope and camera. Here it is with a Star Analyser 100, Atik 314 and CII  (18x20 seconds)

image.png.c0c32fc981916ccbdd77542d3154c1f1.png

You can see the supernova (and other stars and galaxies) and the light spread out into the spectrum, blue to red

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro
added exposure details
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried imaging some galaxies on the 4th May and on examining my image of M60 I found a bright star between it and NGC4647 that wasn't on internet images.

A quick search established this was the supernova.   Taken around 22:44 BST with 102mm achro, EQ5 Synscan, ASI224MC, 1304x976px, stacked 10 frames of 29.6 secs, sky transparency poor, crescent moon.

M60_16bits_10frames_296s.png

• Like 4

This is a quick image I took the last night of my New Mexico imaging trip.

This is a single 3 minute image of the super nova SN 2022hrs located in NGC4647 next to M60 made with an ASI482MC through my 10"RC.

What a blast !!!!!

m60-SN2022hrs-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise-sm-lbl.jpg

• Like 2