NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What do you do whilst gathering data?

U hope this isn't asked all the time, but once you setup your rig and it's taking the pictures, what so you do?

Like for the X hours the rig is doing its thing, what do you do?  Do you go in and leave it?  Stay outside and monitor it?  Break out the 8" dob and do some observation?

I suppose there will be a lot of variation, some will have a setup that is basically remote, whilst others will be more hands on or even have an observatory.  Also I guess it will depend on mood, but a general sense I am curious.

• Like 1

Twiddle thumbs?

If it's not too cold I generally sit outside and setup another which I can look through or keep trying different targets. Changing targets with the main one I also don't like slewing it remotely just by the off chance something snags or worse it looks like it'll topple over so I'm always with it when I do change. Also being outside especially between meteor events you always tend to catch glimpses of meteors, or the odd fireball but usually via averted vision.

• Like 1

My set up is remotely operated so that I can use it when working away, and so that I can take advantage of clear nights at home without disappearing into observatory when I have been away at work all week - which would not go down well. 😂  If I am at the computer whilst doing an imaging run, I tend either to do some processing of data, plan new targets or scroll through SGL to see what others are up to.  The set up allows the observatory to close and open automatically in response to the changing weather, so a lot of times I just go to bed!  The disadvantage of all this is, of course, that I lose the much closer connection with the night sky that you get from sitting outside under the stars with the equipment.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

U hope this isn't asked all the time, but once you setup your rig and it's taking the pictures, what so you do?

Like for the X hours the rig is doing its thing, what do you do?  Do you go in and leave it?  Stay outside and monitor it?  Break out the 8" dob and do some observation?

I suppose there will be a lot of variation, some will have a setup that is basically remote, whilst others will be more hands on or even have an observatory.  Also I guess it will depend on mood, but a general sense I am curious.

Fully remote controlled from the comfort of the sofa with a nice glass of red 😁 (once polar aligned - not a permanent setup sadly).

I might browse SGL, read something, or just watch something. Occasionally I've taken a nap.

• Like 1

I'm still in the 1990s (or perhaps earlier) with my low tech approach!

While my camera is gathering data I'm sat with a hand-controller, keeping that guide star between the illuminated cross-hairs. Between RA or Dec adjustments, I'll often scan the sky with my eyes or 7x50s. On the other hand, if I'm taking short exposures than don't need guiding, I'll often be in listening to the hi-fi or catching up on TV.

I've been telling myself for years that I should take up auto-guiding, but I'm getting older and less tech-savvy every day!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Once APT is underway on an image plan and guding is solid, I get a deck chair out in the garden, recline back and just take in the stars. With hot chocolate in hand it becomes a really relaxing time to be with my own thoughts. :)

• Like 3

I do mobile astrophotography only so cant go back home and leave the scope unattended for long.

After setting up and the initial faff of collimation, guide calibration and the usual setting up i inspect the subs visually at first and see if focus needs touching and after it looks like the setup no longer needs babysitting ill do something else. I am not autofocusing so i need to keep an eye on focus for a while after starting the run because depending on the temperature difference the scope just went through i may need to refocus many times during the first hour or so when the long aluminium tube cools down and takes the scope out of focus with it. After everything is clear i always have a look with my 7x50 binoculars and see what i can find in the sky and if i get bored of that or its too cold, ill hop back into my car and either browse SGL or YouTube on my phone until I've had enough for the night. If shooting Lunar or planetary, then its obviously more hands on and there isn't much time to do anything other than handle the imaging. Sometimes i stack an image in the field when a few subs have arrived to see what im working with, especially if its a new target for me.

I think ill need a second scope, something as effortless as the binoculars preferably, to keep myself busy while the imaging rig is doing its thing.

• Like 1

As I live in a 1st floor flat and image from the communal garden I cannot leave my set up unguarded, so once set up and the imaging run going, I'll just check the subs and guiding rolling in and make sure all ok, have a cup of coffee and maybe take the 7x50 bins out for a browse or just gaze up at the sky watching meteors go past, learn the constellations and stars. I'll browse sgl too. It does get bitterly cold at times. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

Out of the replies, I seem to be the lazy one. Once set up in the back garden (which is pretty secure) I run it all remotely and normally go to bed. I have a rain alarm app and a rain sensor to wake me up. I still have to get up early to bring all the gear in, but at least I still get a good sleep.😁

• Like 3

At home, once mine is up and running I retire indoors and watch the subs roll in.  I also watch a film, chat on an astro instant chat facility, surf the web/ eat my dinner if I have missed it setting up.

If I am at Astro camp, I wander around and see what others are doing, look through a scope or two, chat with astro chums, help others if they are having problems, and if a public site sometimes show non Astronomers around the sky, whilst checking my imaging intermittently.  I rarely have internet at Astro camps, so can't check it remotely.    

Carole 

7 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

It does get bitterly cold at times. 

The most layers I've worn is around 4, 5 with another coat. At the time I think it was -4, nothing compared to what some others have to deal with. When your feet start getting numb that's when to get worried.