SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn from Herstmonceux.

Trevor

Steve Collingwood and myself Spent Friday night at Herstmonceux trying to finish off getting the 36 inch Yapp operational, it’s getting there slowly and we managed a first light on Saturn.

Members of the public had a chance to view Saturn although the seeing was about 1/10, in fact it was so bad that sometimes Saturn could not be seen to the eye although the 16 inch LX Meade picked it up in the eyepiece.

This is the first time in 27 years that the scope has been used , and the first time allowing the public to view through it.

We tried some imaging and the results were quite poor due to the terrible conditions but I hope it gives some idea of the image scale of the scope.

The first image is with the 16 inch at F/10 4000mm Focal length the second is at F25 10000mm Focal length and the last one is with the Yapp 36 inch mirror at F/15 I will let you work the focal length of that one out

Still some work to do but it’s getting there.

Trev.

F10 and F/25 Meade LX 16 inch.

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1307

Yapp 36 inch F/15.

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1308

You don't need me to tell you if the seeing is bad, it will look a damned sight worse through a large objective Trevor.

Patience will rectify any instrument probs, but you're in the lap of the gods regarding the atmosphere.:)

Ron.:mad:

Hello Trevor.

I was wondering how you were getting on down there.

Amazing image scale from the Yapp, and the F10 mage from the 16 is very nice.

I bet it's great fun!

Cheers

Rob

Hello Trevor.

Yes, I still have the 14...mothballed at the moment but I plan on holding on to it for tiny PN's, lunar and planetary stuff, and maybe to fit a hyperstar at some stage in the future. Plus it's great visually.

I would love to come down and will make a point of doing so.

I'm away next week but then have a couple of weeks free.

Cheers

Rob

Archived