NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another new AR coming around the limb - 27th March 2022

Stu

25 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Yesterday afternoon I looked at the group, but the new AR had not appeared.

It looks almost as large as the bigger one in the group.

Yes, it does look a decent size 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Plenty of activity going on today in white light, some significant changes to 12975, and a new, as yet unnamed spot appearing on the limb.

04EBD7BC-E4F4-4CA3-98F1-FDFB74996C8E.jpeg

3498B494-390F-4EFF-84B0-D7723F1C4C0D.jpeg

B0A5D4EE-D871-416D-9D5F-380F6590B5D0.jpeg

Thanks Stu nearly missed your post as I don't tend to look ar Stargazers lounge.  I took a snap of the new spot at 7.21am.  It looks promising, the weather doesn't after today,but fingers crossed.

174354956_P3270325newspotcomingon.jpg.b81de53750e013f9a422cf3a2240bc9f.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1

I just had a look in both white light and H-alpha with my 102mm TecnoSky. Seeing wasn't great in white light, but I managed to spot some faculae just south of the spot. Observing it in Ha showed a wealth of activity on the limb just around the spot. Small but bright flares, spicules and thin loops of gas rapidly evolving while observing.

Not only the new AR was worth the look, the entire disk showed a great number of interesting features: Beautiful filaments, AR2976 centered on the disk, a "Tree" looking prominence on the western limb and so much more! Anyone else managed to observe the disk in Ha today? Been a while since I've seen such a crowded disk!

I was able to spot slightly more details than the following picture from GONG, but it shows many of the major features such as the "tree" prominence in the top right of the image.

20220327150830Ch.jpg

Victor

• Like 3

At 2:45 today the viewing was some of the best I've had.

The new spot and the largest of the older ones using a 23mm eyepiece showed a lot of detail. 

For a change I was able to clearly see the difference in the dark area of the spot and the lighter area surrounding them using just the 23mm.

What would it be like to be viewing the sun and seeing a Carrington event happen?

18 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

At 2:45 today the viewing was some of the best I've had.

The new spot and the largest of the older ones using a 23mm eyepiece showed a lot of detail. 

For a change I was able to clearly see the difference in the dark area of the spot and the lighter area surrounding them using just the 23mm.

What would it be like to be viewing the sun and seeing a Carrington event happen?

At my age it could be fatal 😊