NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AR 2965, a sight to behold in white light

Pete Presland

As 2960 exits from view, AR2965 is putting on a fine show. A sprawling mass of intricate spots and light bridges it is superb in white light. 

Typical imaging session, Tea break very stable seeing conditions, with quite a bit of cloud. The dinnertime session was much less cloud, but the seeing conditions were much poorer.

Evostar 120mm, Asi174mm, X3 Barlow and Continuum filter. Best 20% of 9000 frames for both images.

I have done a full disc capture as well, but that it currently stacking  (hopefully)

1816127613_2022_03_1410.09AR2965.thumb.png.d6b60e2b82e199a057cf24a2a5dcfcaf.png

469147749_2022_03_1410.11AR2960.thumb.png.053e12d3cec508e334d1058f5734c136.png

• Like 10

With the Asi174mm i can almost get the full disc on the chip.  The long side of the chip it fits easily, the short side i have to allow the disc to drift slowly across the field of view. 

The resolution is pretty low to be honest, i have though about doing a mosaic similar to what i do in H/A. But i have also had trouble stitching them, probably due to the lack of detail in a lot of the surface, other than fine Granulation.

57 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

With the Asi174mm i can almost get the full disc on the chip.  The long side of the chip it fits easily, the short side i have to allow the disc to drift slowly across the field of view. 

The resolution is pretty low to be honest, i have though about doing a mosaic similar to what i do in H/A. But i have also had trouble stitching them, probably due to the lack of detail in a lot of the surface, other than fine Granulation.

Right makes sense. That's exactly the problem, lack of fine detail, nothing to lock onto. When it works it works well, but unpredictable. other than a bigger chip focal reducer or new scope not a easy solution. i will just image when there's detail

cheers for your info

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1