Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mini PC build for remote control imaging setup that doesn't require internet connection

Hi all,

I wanted to build an automated setup that I could leave out all night and remotely control from the house that 1) wouldn't require my personal laptop to be left outside unattended and 2) could also be used away from home without internet access. Obviously there are off-the-shelf commercial solutions, but in the case of the ASIair I didn't want to be limited to using ZWO devices and I like using my Windows software like PHD2 and NINA. 

I used a Mele Quieter 2 mini PC  with 8Gb RAM and 128 GB storage (~£200 from Amazon) and a TP-link tl-wr802n portable router (~£20 from Amazon). Both are fanless (so no vibrations and weather resistant) and mounted on the tube rings of the telescope. 

I set up the router to run in "access point mode". The mini PC has Wi-Fi turned off and is permanently connected to the router via ethernet cable. The router creates a WiFi network that can be connected to wirelessly from anywhere nearby (with the password of course). The mini PC (running Windows 10 Pro) needs to be powered on by physically pressing the power button but after this I can use my laptop (running Windows 10 Home) to connect, log in, and control the mini PC via remote desktop.

The great thing about this setup is that if the mini PC needs updates I can remotely turn on its WiFi and connect to my home WiFi network with internet access. Otherwise, no internet connection is needed for operation. 

If this helps anyone, I'd love to see your builds! :)

20220311_164015.jpg

20220311_165431.jpg

Edited by Peter Reader

• 5 months later...

Hi Peter,

Just stumbled across your post ....

Out of interest, what sort of range are you finding with this little TP-Link unit?

In a similar way to you I have an mini-PC near the 'scope and currently relying on my home internet router (Talk Talk supplied) as the wi-fi link between my laptop indoors and mini-pc outside.  As far as I know the Talk Talk router is reputed to be a fairly good one, but I still experience annoying 'drop outs' from time to time.

So, I'm looking for any alternative solutions ..... the attractiveness of something like this is that it could still be used away from home if needed.

Thanks!

FWIW:  I took a slightly different approach.  I have power in my garage that is on the same mains as the house and is close to my scope.  I use a powerline wireless adapter in the garage to provide a wifi connection to the scope mini PC.  I'm therefore able to connect to it from any device within my home using RDP.  I also use a Mele Quieter 3 miniPC to control the scope

Edited by andymw

Hi Andy,

Yes, I initially looked at the powerline option as well, and I wonder if a variation to your solution might work for me .... I can place a powerline adapter right next to the mini-pc (it's in a 'distribution box' I made which I place near mount, spare mains sockets available in that) and connect the mini-pc directly to it with ethernet cable, so no need for wi-fi.  The mains supply to this distribution box is taken from a socket in nearby laundry room, which is on the same mains circuit as house.  Then, another powerline adaptor near my laptop and job done, also using ethernet connection and remote desktop.

That should theoretically work away from home as well, as long I ensure both adaptors are 'linked' by the same power circuit!

Only thing is, I use Voyager (moved from SGP over a year ago and not regretted it!) at home, and I tend to select and frame a target using its excellent 'web dashboard' which has a brilliant 'virtual field of view' feature.  To do this, it requires an internet connection to download the respective object data, image, etc. and I'd lose that option if I employed my suggestion - although I guess I could switch over to the mini-pc's wi-fi for that purpose, as per Peter's method.  Irrelevant away from home, as no internet anyway so I'd have to pre-plan target info. -  suppose I could alternatively use planetarium (Stellarium, Cartes Du Ciel, etc.) instead to get info in this instance?

All food for thought!

• 4 months later...
On 13/08/2022 at 15:21, Richbandit said:

Hi Peter,

Just stumbled across your post ....

Out of interest, what sort of range are you finding with this little TP-Link unit?

In a similar way to you I have an mini-PC near the 'scope and currently relying on my home internet router (Talk Talk supplied) as the wi-fi link between my laptop indoors and mini-pc outside.  As far as I know the Talk Talk router is reputed to be a fairly good one, but I still experience annoying 'drop outs' from time to time.

So, I'm looking for any alternative solutions ..... the attractiveness of something like this is that it could still be used away from home if needed.

Thanks!

I haven't done a range test but I can tell you with "line of sight" between the mini router on scope and my laptop I get 10m through glass with no problems. When line of sight is obscured by the OTA it can drop out sometimes.

Edited by Peter Reader

On 15/08/2022 at 14:07, Richbandit said:

Hi Andy,

Yes, I initially looked at the powerline option as well, and I wonder if a variation to your solution might work for me .... I can place a powerline adapter right next to the mini-pc (it's in a 'distribution box' I made which I place near mount, spare mains sockets available in that) and connect the mini-pc directly to it with ethernet cable, so no need for wi-fi.  The mains supply to this distribution box is taken from a socket in nearby laundry room, which is on the same mains circuit as house.  Then, another powerline adaptor near my laptop and job done, also using ethernet connection and remote desktop.

That should theoretically work away from home as well, as long I ensure both adaptors are 'linked' by the same power circuit!

Only thing is, I use Voyager (moved from SGP over a year ago and not regretted it!) at home, and I tend to select and frame a target using its excellent 'web dashboard' which has a brilliant 'virtual field of view' feature.  To do this, it requires an internet connection to download the respective object data, image, etc. and I'd lose that option if I employed my suggestion - although I guess I could switch over to the mini-pc's wi-fi for that purpose, as per Peter's method.  Irrelevant away from home, as no internet anyway so I'd have to pre-plan target info. -  suppose I could alternatively use planetarium (Stellarium, Cartes Du Ciel, etc.) instead to get info in this instance?

All food for thought!

Since I discovered plate solving soon after this build, I now routinely connect the mini PC to home Wi-Fi router to download reference images for framing. The mini router is now a backup for RDP in case for whatever reason the home network is down.

Hi,

nice work !

I've also gone the mini-PC-route in stead of ASI air for the same reasons.

The mini acces point is a good tip, when home I don't need it, because I have good wifi signal from the obs to the outside pier where I use this telescope.

But this is the scope I take with me on holiday, and then I left the mini pc at home and used my laptop.

I might look in to that acces point thingy if I can find some extra space on my scope 😅

Beelink_Case_Top.thumb.jpg.3d70b42a5270388d40e477064e35dbf8.jpg Beelink_Case_L.thumb.jpg.4857336ddf5a7de8636137627512a78e.jpgBeelink_Case_R.thumb.jpg.fb101fbe13cfb42ed37ab789d6c085d7.jpgBeelink_Case_insertzijde.thumb.jpg.3bca7a9406244c63d480154732d0ee96.jpgTS76EDPH.thumb.jpg.b2e3d582b0a7057a75e1ff83982493a9.jpg

Edited by Miguel1983