Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What can you catch in 15 minutes?

wimvb

This is just a little fun trial I did before my main object cleared the observatory wall. I pointed my telescope at LDN 1388, a dark nebula outside the galactic plane. One might wonder how one would go about detecting a dark nebula in this region at all, but apparently somebody did. Anyway, I spent 15 minutes in this area and collected 5 x 3 mins L subs. Calibrated, stacked and stretched in PixInsight (histogram transformation and curves transformation). Then plate solved and annotated. It seems you can catch quite a lot in just 15 minutes, including quasars and galaxies that are 1.5 billion light years distant. Just not dark nebulae outside the galactic plane.

integration_Annotated.thumb.jpg.5a42bda9f481fb45c14a57f8cb1d19e1.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, powerlord said:

I was wrong then. I thought the answer was Covid.

🤧

One hint would be that this is the deep sky section, not the Lounge. 😉

2 hours ago, AKB said:

Well, we will see you posting in the EEVA Observations section, then?

Your report on ngc 3359 looks interesting enough. I may have a go at it and try to catch the BCG ("blue cub"), depending on the weather the coming month or two. But I'll use traditional AP for it. To fill the field of my telescope/camera, I will  frame it with a distant galaxy group

http://aladin.unistra.fr/AladinLite/?target=10 44 29.645%2B63 19 25.67&fov=1.71&survey=P%2FDSS2%2Fcolor

As far as EEA/EEVA is concerned, Ekos has very little support for live stacking. But I'm always interested in trying new techniques. As long as they are compatible with my current setup.

• Thanks 1

@AKB

Despite the moon getting awfully bright, I've pointed my scope in the direction of this galaxy (ngc 3359) and am collecting LRGB data, the "old fashioned way".

Here's the very preliminary result of 7 x 3 minutes L subs. I will post the final image in due course in a separate thread, but since we were having a discussion about it, I thought I would post a teaser here. 😉

ngc3359_L_inv.thumb.jpg.ffebdfa03c2e668469fdcde5878056c3.jpg

Detail of "the cub", or Blue Compact Galaxy SDSS J104442.66+630602.0

ngc3359_L_inv_detail.jpg.d2e849b7fe42e60503a2bfd090822cbd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AKB said:

Yes, perhaps, Wim’s whisper of a woolly waft.

Not so much of a whisper now anymore, eh? 10 times more data (70 x 3 minutes, 3.5 hrs). There are more features emerging below the large galaxy.

ngc3359_70_L_inv_detail.thumb.jpg.ad0a7091a3d29432b87bf1cc435b9361.jpg

Just a few minutes ago, my mount did a successful meridian flip and I am now collecting 4 hours of RGB data as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

Not so much of a whisper now anymore, eh?

Now you’re talking!  Can’t wait to see the RGB.

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

Just a few minutes ago, my mount did a successful meridian flip

…I wish I could do the same.  Not brave enough to try it yet.  Previous mount didn’t need to do this!

Tony