NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New and odd PHD2 problem

PHD2 usually behaves really well but the the last couple of sessions it seems to have developed a strange problem.

I cannot manually choose a star to guide on - if I click on a suitable star I get an amber box and it just stops taking subs.

If I click 'auto select' it chooses a gap between two adjacent stars (almost every time) - see attached screen grab.

The guiding is pretty good but it seems very odd!

Any suggestions??

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Not sure whether it is related to the issue but it is also repeatedly saying Star Lost - Low HFD although the guide star is clearly visible on the screen!

I am using the latest version- 2.6.11

Edited by Skipper Billy
  • Like 1

Are you using the'guide using multiple stars'. I've had the main green cross not be on a star but a number of little green circles sit around stars across the fov and guiding is good anyway?

Just now, fwm891 said:

Are you using the'guide using multiple stars'. I've had the main green cross not be on a star but a number of little green circles sit around stars across the fov and guiding is good anyway?

Thanks Francis

I have tried it with multiple stars - and without - neither way lets me choose a star manually - maybe its because the prog. is started by N.I.N.A.  and it must auto select after a Meridian flip???

David

13 hours ago, tomato said:

I always start PHD before NINA and then connect to it, I’ve never seen this. I had a recent update for PHD, did this problem start after the update?

No - I haven't updated a for a while and it has worked properly since. I tried restarting it half a dozen times and every time it sleeted a gap between 2 stars!

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Try rolling back to 2.6.10.

I will be taking my rig to bits soon as its the end of the season for me.

Maybe there will be an update over the summer before I start again in September. If not I will try rolling it back.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same problem since updating to 2.6.11. A rig that was happily guiding from 0.5" to 1" on a bad night has gone to 2"+ on good nights.

Auto-select insists on selecting faint stars really close to my 'Minimum Star HFD' setting, and then can't sustain guiding with that star. I had to go back to manually selecting a single (saturated) star to get any guiding at all.

I've just reverted to 2.6.10, and with the same rig and the same settings I'm back to auto-select with no issues, and guiding currently at 0.75".