Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dust particles on front glass of my 127 SLT the primary mirror possibly second.

As I spent my 3 years with this telescope (with little or no experience of caring it), I used to use microfiber cloths, dust pen brush and dusting cloths to clean the front.

I shone a torch through the glass and I see it. They're not easily seen in plain site.

Will this impact my planetary photography?

Diagram:

image.png

29 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Worst thing to do is shine a torch anywhere near any telescope optics as it makes even the best optics look like a horror show. I doubt very much this will affect any images taken.

what about the cobwebs inside my OTA? will that make any impact. I have the problem explained in another topic :)

On 27/02/2022 at 20:19, Robindonne said:

Heey you have one of these rare tubes where the placed the logo after Celestron instead of at the beginning 

i dont usually see that on my telescope, this could be just an inaccurate depiction of my scope lol

Fear not William. Dust (unless it is REALLY BAD) will have no impact you will notice. 

It never hurts to blow off what dust is accessible on outer surfaces but do it with a "rocket" blower not with canned air or from a compressor.

Also, as is well known, NEVER inspect shining a torch down the OTA ! It will look horrible, even pristine surfaces will.

1 hour ago, dobblob said:

Also, as is well known, NEVER inspect shining a torch down the OTA ! It will look horrible, even pristine surfaces will.

When selling scopes in the past, I have sometimes been asked about mirror cleanliness.
Then delighted in taking two photos. One with lighting as @dobblob describes, showing every speck like a boulder.
The second photo showing how light transmits through the scope,
Chalk and cheese😁

Dust build up on a mirror has to get really really really bad to affect the views.
The only danger from long term dust is it acting as a fungus nutrient.
Fungus growth will, if left for a long time, damage coatings.
There are ways to prevent or limit fungus growth, without dismantling the scope.
That is another subject....

For now, just enjoy the views.

HTH, David.