SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best portable scope for deep sky

Philk_80

14 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Binoculars are hard to beat in terms of convenience, if that qualifies as a scope.

Lots of things to see with 7x50 binos if skies are dark enough!

True but lots more if you have a scope plus what you can see in bins.

An eternal argument this that will still be going in a 100 years. 😄

4 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Back in 2009 the 130P was about £100 from FLO. 

Ah, so you were comparing 2009 130P prices from memory to 2022 150P prices from a web search.

I’m going to give a penny’s worth of my opinion ( can’t resist ) . What about the skywatcher 102 refractor on the AZ-GTe .. it’s 399 pounds and you can simply use batteries with the mount . Ok , it hasn’t got freedom find but , I am not sure that’s going to be a problem . 

On 28/02/2022 at 19:21, Philk_80 said:

Hi Louis D

Budget - up to £350

Transportation - would be in my car then walk to site

Weight - something I can carry for 15/20 mins without giving myself a hernia

Setup Time - up to 20 mins

Many thanks, 

A whole set up I can carry for 20mins including scope, mount, and accessories would mean I would take out a ST80. It is small and robust and cheap, and because it is light I don't need a strong/heavy mount for it. Because I have it on a mount I don't need to carry an observing chair for comfort (or grovel around to get down to the eyepiece).

I can fit an St80+ accessories in a small rucksack and carry a mount (either a Porta 2 or a lighter camera tripod) in one hand and I can carry it a fair way.

I admit I don't have experience of small reflectors so I can't say how this would compare to say a heritage scope for ease of carrying around.

• Like 1