Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

taking notes

Hi im Ash,  im reading a book on astronomy and im trying to learn some facts but the book i have is a little overwhelming.  The book i have is Collins Stargazing.   Can you suggest an easier book please to learn facts about the solar system and stars please?     Thanks.

Edited by alecras2345

Hi Ash, Turn left at Orion is a very popular choice among amateur astronomers. I bought it about 5 years ago and would recommend it.

40 minutes ago, alecras2345 said:

Hi im Ash,  im reading a book on astronomy and im trying to learn some facts but the book i have is a little overwhelming.  The book i have is Collins Stargazing.   Can you suggest an easier book please to learn facts about the solar system and stars please?     Thanks.

I bought these these:

Collins - 2022 Guide to the Night Sky

Philip's - Stargazing 2022

Both have the newcomer in mind and things are made very simple. Not a lot of money either. Topics like the month's most notable events, star hopping techniques etc. 

Hello Ash, I bought astronomy for dummies a number of years ago and found it very good. I just checked and it is still available, Amazon have it for £12.85. I must admit that I found Turn Left at Orion hard going when I first started, but once you get used to it, it becomes very useful. Another thing you could try, is software like Stellarium. If you select say Jupiter, it does give basic information then by zooming in you can get information on the moons. 

As an astronomy book I use this: Title: Star by star. Author: Piero Bianucci. Publisher: Giunti. The text is in Italian, I don't know if it has been translated into English. As a book I like it very much, I use it to plan my deep-sky observations.

On 27/02/2022 at 10:47, alecras2345 said:

Hi Ash,

What are your interests in astronomy? i.e. are you interested in whats out there, more interested in the science behind it, how to observe/photograph etc. That would help us in recommending appropriate reading material.