Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How dark for the dark shark?

Adamar98

I’m contemplating going after LDN 1235 the shark nebula. I’m sure I’ll have to collect a fair amount of data but will it be worth it? I’m on the outskirts of a city. My bortle scale is 6. I’ll be using my Askar FRA400 @ f3.9 paired with my Atik 460. I’ve tried a few subs at 300 seconds but they look a little washed out. 180 second subs look fine. I was planning to collect around 15-20 hours in luminance and 5 hours each RGB (weather/moon permitting). Before I set out on this task, is it going to be worth all the effort? Will I get the required signal at those sub lengths in a class 6 bortle sky? Any feedback or examples of images with similar conditions would be greatly appreciated.

This is my result from a Bortle 5/6 location with a RASA8/QHY268c, 6 hrs integration. I would haver thought my  OSC camera has to be less sensitive than your mono setup so definitely worth a go in my view.

Image12W.jpg.b3e2dd37966fe4e818cfc76e33bfa319.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tomato said:

This is my result from a Bortle 5/6 location with a RASA8/QHY268c, 6 hrs integration. I would haver thought my  OSC camera has to be less sensitive than your mono setup so definitely worth a go in my view.

Image12W.jpg.b3e2dd37966fe4e818cfc76e33bfa319.jpg

That’s a beauty! Very encouraging. Thank you for this. Looks like I have a new target to chase. What exposure time did you go for? I tried 5 mins but they’re a bit washed out. 3 mins seem ok.

• Thanks 1

My default exposure setting for RGB imaging with this set up is 120 secs. I could spend a lot of time optimising the exposure time for my sky conditions, scope/camera setup, but that number seems to work for me 95% of the time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomato said:

My default exposure setting for RGB imaging with this set up is 120 secs. I could spend a lot of time optimising the exposure time for my sky conditions, scope/camera setup, but that number seems to work for me 95% of the time.

Thanks for your feedback. I now have hope that I’ll achieve something. If it turns out half as good as yours, I’ll be a happy man.

• Thanks 1

Seems like you have a rather portable set-up so could you not make a trip to a darker site, just for the night or weekend? For an object like this, which is not NB but quite faint RGB, a dark sky really makes a difference. Here is about 10 hours with a RASA 8 and ASI2600MC at Bortle2-3.

CS, Göran

20200912-13 LDN1235 RASA PS33smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1