Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Selsey

John

Just back from a mini-break in West Sussex. I could not resist a drive down to Selsey. A nice seaside town and the home to the late Sir Patrick Moore of course. Good to see that his former house is being well looked after and nice to see a commorative plaque in place now. I knew that his house was called "Farthings" but seeing how it was spelt on the gate made "the penny drop" and brought home to me it's true meaning :icon_biggrin:

P1140777.JPG

P1140778.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Lovely! It’s nice that the current owners seem to appreciate its history although I doubt whether they have retained the observatory(s). I was passing through Selsey once and tried to find it, but failed. Later on I found out exactly where it was and made a pilgrimage courtesy of Google maps street view!

AE9C4216-88D1-4868-A893-E13515ED5B11.thumb.jpeg.a082c6accaa814c931120770255243ab.jpeg

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

I recall Moore was running short of cash so his close friend Brian May bought the house off him and rented it back at "one peppercorn a year".  It was a private arrangement and May, quite rightly to my mind, went nuts at the media when they got hold or the story.

I don't know who owns it now but its lovely to see it being cared for.

• Like 3

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Sir Patrick and Heather Couper at a reception hosted by the Houston Astronomical Society back in the  80s.  They were friends and just happened to both be in Houston at the same time.  It was most fun after Sir Patrick had a couple glasses of wine and started telling stories about the war years in the UK.  My then young son was very intrigued by a pop up book Heather had written  with Sir Patrick so she gave him a copy and they both signed it.   It was a grand evening. 

Halleys Comet Book.jpg

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

It was most fun after Sir Patrick had a couple glasses of wine and started telling stories about the war years in the UK. 

Probably the same stories we heard when he came to our astronomy club decades ago! 😆 Sounds like the Houston trip was a great memory for you and your son. 

• Haha 1

On 04/02/2022 at 20:58, RobertI said:

Lovely! It’s nice that the current owners seem to appreciate its history although I doubt whether they have retained the observatory(s). I was passing through Selsey once and tried to find it, but failed. Later on I found out exactly where it was and made a pilgrimage courtesy of Google maps street view!

AE9C4216-88D1-4868-A893-E13515ED5B11.thumb.jpeg.a082c6accaa814c931120770255243ab.jpeg

Spent many happy hours here with Patrick and other friends.  Happy memories.   Happy days.. Seems a life time ago now 😪

So glad it’s being looked after well and that it has a blue plaque to commemorate him. 

Edited by Naglerman
  • Like 3