NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting into DSO imaging with DSLR - upgrade to tracking, or get a better lens?

GazK

Faster longer prime lens or tracked mount?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Faster longer prime lens or tracked mount?

• Faster longer prime lens
    • Tracked mount

I'm getting back into stargazing after a long time away, and into astroimaging for the first time, M31, M42 and other similar size objects.

Current equipment was bought, and is used, for daytime photography, but don't have infinite money so I want to learn while mostly using what I already have. Which is: Canon 80d, Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6, an adapted Nikon 105mm f2.5, intervalometer, and a couple of *very* solid tripods. I've followed Nico Carver's excellent tutorial on untracked imaging, and had a moderately successul first stab at M31 with 1 second subs, which has given me The Bug.

However the 105mm is a bit wide for this kind of target, while the 70-300 will suffer from usual zoom lens issues and is also bit slow above 100mm. Obviously the short exposure time and poorish noise performance of a crop sensor camera are going to limit what I can do with either lens.

I'm happy to spend up to £400 to improve this rig and then spend some serious time getting good at it. With that budget, which would offer the biggest bang: getting a tracked mount such as the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro Pack, or getting a good fast prime lens such as the Canon 200mm f4 to increase detail, and stay untracked?

I've added a poll but would obviously also like to hear people's thoughts.

Edited by GazK

Start from the bottom and work your way upwards; invest in a tracker and then when you've got a feel for what you are doing, you'll have a better idea of what sort of length of optic you'll want to image through.

• Thanks 1

I started out a similar way using what I have with a DSLR and lens (350d and 75-300mm lens) and invested in a star adventurer.  The lens may not be ideal, but you can certainly start your journey that way and upgrade down the line once you have learnt setting up the mount, which will be more forgiving at shorter focal lengths. 

Take a look at the Samyang 135mm thread there are lots of great images with wider field of views.

Good luck and enjoy!

On 04/02/2022 at 08:42, Swillis said:

I started out a similar way using what I have with a DSLR and lens (350d and 75-300mm lens) and invested in a star adventurer.  The lens may not be ideal, but you can certainly start your journey that way and upgrade down the line once you have learnt setting up the mount, which will be more forgiving at shorter focal lengths. 

Take a look at the Samyang 135mm thread there are lots of great images with wider field of views.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks very much, that very reassuring. Yes, I clocked the Samyang - maybe one to look at down the line.

1 hour ago, chewie said:

A lot of camera lenses can cause coma so unless you know how it will perform I would avoid. Lol let me know btw where you can get 400mm F4 prime for under 400quid :)

argh, I meant to type 200mm f4. The Canon L one goes for around £400 second hand.

• Like 1