Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4" Tak vs Mewlon 180c

2 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

I've used the next ten year's astronomy budget. Need help here 🙂

Malcolm 

I spent more than I like to admit this year on astronomy gear. Last night, I resisted the urge to buy a used Nikon EDG 7x42 I found for 50% off, but it was a close call.

I am debating if I want to sell my AT102EDL to help fund the binoscope, or keep it to use as my camping scope.

Edited by PatientObserver

7 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

I see, from another forum, you have done some comparisons with the TLPs. I get the feeling, from all I have read, that they are very good eyepieces but not necessarily a huge step up from any other premium eyepieces. Would you tend to agree? I suspect they would be excellent in the Mewlon, but I can't believe I would find them noticeably better than my Tak Abbes or Masuyamas (but I'd love to be proved wrong 🙂 )

Malcolm 

That is the impression that I have gained regarding the TLP's. I did buy and try a 4mm TOE and compared that with my Pentax XW, Nagler zoom and Astro Hutech HD orthos but, while there were small differences in their characteristics, I didn't find that the TOE was consistently better than the others. 

The more I've compared high power eyepieces, the more I find myself agreeing with Roger Vine's conclusions on them:

Eyepieces for Planets (scopeviews.co.uk)

Find some that you like and stick with them. Observe as much as possible to develop your skills and catch the good seeing nights. Enjoy 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, John said:

That is the impression that I have gained regarding the TLP's. I did buy and try a 4mm TOE and compared that with my Pentax XW, Nagler zoom and Astro Hutech HD orthos but, where there were small differences in their characteristics, I didn't find that the TOE was consistently better than the others. 

The more I've compared high power eyepieces, the more I find myself agreeing with Roger Vine's conclusions on them:

Eyepieces for Planets (scopeviews.co.uk)

Find some that you like and stick with them. Observe as much as possible to develop your skills and catch the good seeing nights. Enjoy 🙂

Thanks for sharing the article. I just started this journey this year, so there are many eyepieces through which I have never looked, but with my limited experience, I agree with Roger.

If Takahashi adds a 7 mm to the TPL, or a 5mm to the TOE, I would buy them in a heartbeat. There are four slots in my turret and the jump from 12.5 to 4 mm is too much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PatientObserver said:

I spent more than I like to admit this year on astronomy gear. Last night, I resisted the urge to buy a used Nikon EDG 7x42 I found for 50% off, but it was a close call.

I am debating if I want to sell my AT102EDL to help find the binoscope, or keep it to use as my camping scope.

I would be temped to keep it if I were you, assuming the proceeds are not immediately required. One, a four inch refractor is reputed to be one of the best all round scopes in terms of performance and portability. Two, you hear so many stories on here of people who regret selling good gear; mind you, this tack has led me to accumulate an embarassingly large amount of gear!

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Great advice and I'll check out that article thanks. 

Malcolm 

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Very true, John. I went down the minimal glass thinking for a while until I found out just how good Ethos EPs are.

I pretend to myself they are too big, too heavy and have those horrible undercuts. But the reality is I can't bring myself to spend so much on an eyepiece! Luckily I have never tried one 🙂

Malcolm 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

I would be temped to keep it if I were you, assuming the proceeds are not immediately required. One, a four inch refractor is reputed to be one of the best all round scopes in terms of performance and portability. Two, you hear so many stories on here of people who regret selling good gear; mind you, this tack has led me to accumulate an embarassingly large amount of gear!

Malcolm 

I am trying to limit myself to gear that I will use regularly. I found I used the FOA-60Q more than my AT102EDL, and now that I bought the Mewlon, I have not used it at all. The differences between the μ-180C and the FOA-60Q are complementary. The differences between the refractors are more subtle. Once the Agema arrives, I expect to choose that over the AT102EDL nearly every time. The exception is camping. It may be nice to have a scope of which I am less protective.

• Like 3

One of my favorite features of the Mewlon 180C is the finderscope. Not only is it a clear, sharp, view, it is perfectly aligned (despite traveling all the way from Japan). On top of that it is intended to be used as a carry handle. The only downside, is that it makes finding a soft case for the scope a little more difficult.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PatientObserver said:

One of my favorite features of the Mewlon 180C is the finderscope. Not only is it a clear, sharp, view, it is perfectly aligned (despite traveling all the way from Japan). On top of that it is intended to be used as a carry handle. The only downside, is that it makes finding a soft case for the scope a little more difficult.

I followed @HollyHound's advice and got the Oklop Padded Bag & Backpack for 9.25" SCT. It fits the Mew180 very well. The only issue is that the weight (primary mirror) sits at the top of the bag when the bag is used in the rucksack mode; makes it a little awkward to carry this way. I'm not sure if this is a good way to transport the Mewlon or not; vertical with the mirror 'up'.  I would be very interested if there are any views on this.

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, PatientObserver said:

Spot on. I view the Mewlons as world class handles with a superb Dall-Kirkham cassegrain thrown in. What’s not to like? 
😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3